Question Multiple bizzare system problems

BoomBoomBot

Prominent
Jan 19, 2021
So this is an extremely weird one and im looking to see if someone can tell me just what happened and why.

This all started with me removing the ram and gpu in my small case to add a fan to my tower cooler. After simpy adding it and assembling the build, it wouldn't post. The gpu fans werent spinning and after reseating it a few times, trying with different power cables and trying out both bioses on the dual bios gpu it still wouldnt work, fans not even starting to spin. I assumed it was either it or the pcie slot. Tried with a different gpu and everything worked.

Now here it gets weird.
I installed the problem gpu again to see if it wouldnt boot, this would be my last attempt. And what do you know, fans start spinning but no image.

At this point i thought it was obvious that the gpu was the problem. But after switching to the second bios everything worked, except the wattman setting and the drivers which were giving me weird errors. The other bios wouldnt post, no signal.

What i decided to do after running a quick benchmark was to try and boot the non working bios into motherboard bios by disabling the boot option.

Voilà! The broken bios suddenly works and posts into the motherboard bios.
From there i enabled the boot option for my ssd and successfully booted into windows with the gpu bios that refused to boot 10 minutes ago.
Now everything seems to be working correctly, even the drivers for the first working bios are working correctly.

Anyone have any ideas as to what in the world is happening?

Motherboard: asus prime b450m k
Processor: ryzen 5 5600
Gpu: xfx rx 6600 xt revision 3.6
Psu: corsair tx550m gold
Ram: teamgroup 3000
Gpu bios version that was not working, but i managed to somehow fix: 020.003.000.030.000000
Driver version: amd adrenalin 22.5.1

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
started with me removing the ram and gpu in my small case to add a fan to my tower cooler.
Did you check and see that the stick(s) of ram are fully seated?

Psu: corsair tx550m gold
How old is the PSU in your build?

Motherboard: asus prime b450m k
What BIOS version are you working with on your motherboard?

Tried with a different gpu and everything worked.
Make and model of the test GPU?

Reactions: CompuGuy71

BoomBoomBot

Prominent
Jan 19, 2021
Ram is in the way of gpu clip so in order to remove the gpu i have to remove the ram. I have confirmed each time that ram is correctly seated.

The corsair psu is around 2 years old but leans toward something like 1 year 10 months.

Bios is the latest version: 3802 flashed a month ago, havent had any problems with it.

Test gpu was an old nvidia quadro fx 4600. It returned no errors and successfully loaded into motherboard bios along with windows.

Since the gpu booted successfully i have not touched the components aside from the gpu bios switch. Everything was done software and firmware side. I confirmed mutiple times that the gpu bios was standing in the way of the pc from posting by power cycling between each bios, each time moving the bios switch. One bios would post and go into windows with no problems except driver issues, the other would not post at all and would leave the fans spinning at 100% for both cpu case and gpu. After that i resorted to disabling the boot drive which allowed the pc to post into bios and from there to windows. It has not had any problems since.

Last edited: