Multiple Blue Screen of Death Crashes during gaming Please HELP

Ethantanious

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Ok so i have a fairly old pc i put together around 2009 with very few upgrades to it since then.. I will list components in a sec but here is my question first... Lately when i play games such as Skyrim or Saints Row IV after about an hour or so i get a blue screen of death this is seemingly a new issue but i haven't been gaming for a while so it could be an issue that i just haven't noticed because i haven't been under heavy loads...anyway here is what i've got:

processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black OC'D from 2.8(stock) to 3.4 ghz
CPU cooler: cooler master hyper N250
Motherboard: ASRock 780G
Video Card: EVGA GTX 460 SE 1gb 256-bit GDDR5
Monitor: #1 Acer 23'' 1080p #2 40'' highsense TV also 1080p
ram: 4gb ddr2 1066
hdd: OS and both games mentioned above are on an OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD
but i also have a 250gb WD blue series HDD for storage
Power supply: Rosewill green series 630W 80 plus bronze certified

i had thought maybe it was a overheating problem but my temps don't seem to be high enough to cause alarm
at idle cpu is around 31-35C with GPU at 38-40C

i have only checked the gpu under load as it is all i have set up in my OSD during games but it gets up to around 65-70C And i have read the nvidia cards can run up to 85-90C

after the first crash i cleaned out the heatsinks (which were filthy) and that dropped my temps to what i have posted (before it was about 5-7C higher at idle) but its still crashing so any input would be much appreciated

Ethantanious

Reputable
May 31, 2014
i7Baby i really hope you are wrong no offence i just could not afford a new card right now... the card i got in jan 2011 so its a little over 3 years and in that time i have cleaned the heatsink at least once a year and probably a year and a half ago i took the heatsink off and thoroughly cleaned it and the chip then reassembled it with arctic silver in an attempt to extend the life of it. Also i can run hd movies on my tv while using the monitor and the video card can handle it without a problem.

Ethantanious

Reputable
May 31, 2014
thanks that link is very useful and jsut skimming through i would have to agree its probably my cpu i suppose for now i will throttle it down to stock speeds and try to get as much life out of it as i can while i save money for a new one.

Ethantanious

Reputable
May 31, 2014
so for now i have got rid of my overclocks
checked all my drivers in device manager all were up to date but just in case i still downloaded drivers for my ssd and the latest nvida drivers
so far after installing those drivers i have had no more blue screens while playing skyrim WOOT WOOT :)

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Cool to hear. Good job.