[SOLVED] Multiple BSOD. Can't find the source of the problem.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

juanfropro

Commendable
Aug 25, 2018
Hi.

Not long ago I started having multiple random BSOD:

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE
SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION
SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA
MEMORY MANAGEMENT
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
TIMER OR DPC INVALID
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Usually while gaming, other times when the computer was idling, when powering on, when powering off...

After looking into the issue I got the advice of reinstalling windows and after doing it it got better but I still get some BSOD every now and then during gaming, sometimes just as I launch a game, sometimes after a few minutes or after an hour, not consistent.

Usually I get the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)

I reinstalled Windows a couple of times.
I checked my drives and one HDD had some bad/corrupt sectors. I Have a new one the BSOD still happen.
I've ran Memtest multiple times. I have two equal sets of 16 gb (2X8GB) and I've tried swaping them out and switching the ram slots but still found no errors.
System File Checker doesn't find any issues.
Windows memory diagnostic doesn't find errors.
GPU Drivers are updated.
I went through all the items in device manager using the "update drivers" and two of them got updated.
I tried driver verifier and before and it catched one of the drivers of my usb wifi adapter. I changed to a wired connection and BSOD still happen, but verifier doesn't seem to find anything. Around that time I remember that after a BIOS Update I had to reset CMOS because my monitors didn't show anything when turning on the PC.
I updated bios to the latest version.
I replaced my PSU.

I have some random ideas but nothing solid.
Maybe it is the GPU/GPU slot? I tried with my previous gpu and still got the error
Could it be that all the RAM slots became faulty for some reason?
Recently I moved my PC and currently Everything comes from the same plug via a plug strip. Maybe that's too much? I already had some BSOD before moving the PC, but each device had its own plug.
I replaced the stock CPU cooler for a liquid kit and I remember swapping where the pump and the fans connected because the fans would always go at max speed. Now it works cold and usually quiet. The timing might correlate but couldn't say for sure maybe the BSOD got really bad about a month after.
Faulty motherboard or CPU.

Here are my PC components:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16 (I expanded with other 16 GB but currently I have only 2 8gb installed)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5
SSD (OS W10): Samsung 850 Evo SSD Series 120GB SATA3 (5 years old)
SSD 2 (Programs): Crucial MX500 SSD 500GB SATA
HDD (Data): Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004 4000GB Serial ATA II
Other: 4 port USB PCIe slot. I have a Valve Index Headset, a HOTAS and a webcam but currently only the keyboard, mouse and a USB wireless adapter are plugged in.

No Overclocking. Temps seem fine.

Here I have some of the latests minidumps.

Any pointers?

Last edited:

juanfropro

Commendable
Aug 25, 2018
Do you mean tested it? No
I only ran prime 95 which is the only test that had shown some errors before.

Would there be any difference with testing them with the new CPU? I tested all the sticks multiple times with different configurations and they never showed an error.

Last edited: