Multiple BSOD Need Help Please.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello my name is Jason and this is my first post here hoping to get my problems fixed. I would like to consider myself pretty PC savoy but, this is boggling me beyond no end. I can't fix it. I have done tons of diagnosing/attempted fixing but to no avail. Now to the problems...

Keep in mind this is after a fresh install of XP MCE SP3

Multiple BSOD.
multiple files referred to as the problematic/corrupted file in seperate BSOD.
Restart computer after BSOD and I receive "windows has recovered from a serious system error".

I have done almost everything i could think of (memtest, registry mechanic, system defrag, made sure all drivers are up to date, fixed all "unknown devices", virus scans, switched HD's thinking it might have been bad sectors, switched from AGP to PCI video and back to AGP because of a particular file issue, etc.)

What I am willing to do to try to resolve this issue:
Anything..... I have reformatted my HD and reinstalled the OS and still getting the same problems. I have no money to try to get new hardware. If you think you can help please post a few things you would like me to do. I have a current fresh minidump if that helps just need to know how to attach it because i did not see a place to attach files at.

I have read a few things from here where peoples problems have been solved. I hope i have one of those stories to tell how the people here have fixed my problem. Thank you for reading and I'm looking forward to hearing from someone soon.

Jason

Edit:
Forgot the system specs lol.
Asus p5p800
Intel 3.0Ghz not sure of the make could find out if needed
Nvidia 6800 AGP
2 Gb 2X1Gb PQI RAM
Marvell onboard 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Soundmax(pretty sure without looking) Onboard Sound
Maxtor SATA 200Gb OS drive
Maxtor SATA 160Gb Storage drive
Western Digital PATA 320Gb Storage Drive
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Media Center Edition SP 3 fully updated through Microsoft

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

I see it at random. Sometimes when i am surfing the net. Installing something. Doing microsoft updates through the website. It is completely random. And it also seems likes the Stop codes and (when it gives them to me) files pointed to are random. If i were to restart and do a few more things like surf the net or install something it would more than likely be something completely different. I knew if i installed something i would get some kind of error. The particular BSOD i left up waiting for a reply was:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Technical Information:
stop: 0xD1 (0x8BF57440, 0x7, 0x0, 0xB86A4016)
atapi.sys - Address B86A4016 base at B86A3000, Datestamp 4802539d

Remember this is a fresh install and i have seen other files associated with these BSOD. It seems random files and codes are generated.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
He could also try reseating his RAM module in its motherboard socket. I've seen thermal cycling and dust buildup cause bad connections.

Also check the state of his capacitors on the motherboard. Are they all nice and flat on top, or are any swelling even slightly?

Which brings us to the power supply, which is often the root of unexplained software problems. I had one the other day in which the onboard NIC wasn't working properly and changing the P/S unit solved the issue.

Cheers!

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
OK i will address each replier seperately...

Aford10: I will try the memtest. i have done it before to no prevail but i understand there is a process to diagnosing things so for your own referance i will do a fresh one. and i will boot into safe modew/ networking for awhile see if i still get the problems.

Digitalprospect: i have reseatted my ram sticks a few times ive tried switching up ram sticks 1 at a time (i have 3Gb 3X1) and i still get the issues i tried putting them in b1 b2 and leaving a1 a2 empty no avail. I'll be honest i dont know what thermal cycling is but i keep a VERY clean machine inside. pc is in a smoke enviroment so i blow it out with compressed air about once every 2 weeks. i will check all the capacitors on the board. im guessing that is to see if anything has been damaged by heat right? and now unfortunately i cant replace any parts because of money issues right now. and i currently dont have a spare one right now.

thank you both for the replies i will do a few of the things listed to see if all goes well.

Jason

EDIT:
OK i did an inspection of the mobo and i only saw 1 that might have been bulged a little bit. the top of it was kind of puffed up but comparing to others i really had to get close to verify it but there is a slight difference between a normal looking one and the one in question.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hi Jason,

Thermal cycling is simply the normal wear and tear on electronics as they heat up and cool down during use / nonuse. Socketed chips tend to creep up out of sockets etc as heat causes them to expand and then contract and sometimes lose good contact.

Bad Capacitors can be seen mostly on the top side, but can also leak on the bottom. The leaking/expansion is again caused by heat. This especially plagued systems built between 2001 to 2003 and sometimes later.

Here is an indepth article about the problem:
http://www.epinions.com/content_3906576516

And here is a link to a sample picture. Note the tops of the row of capacitors just in front of all the red arrows are perfectly flat, while the row behind is swelling, or leaking even.

capacitors_apple_500x375.jpg

The trouble with capacitor problems is that even a very slight swelling can cause issues, and sometimes leaking capacitors still function properly for a while. Kind of hit and miss in the problem department.

Hope that this is not the case with your board.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Thank you for the picture in the response and the capacitor i was referring to looks like one of those capacitors just not as noticeable. the only way i could tell is by lightly running my finger across the top of them. If we were to continue to try to get past this just in case this wasnt the problem (i bought this computer off of ebay and didnt notice this not sure if it has always been there or not) Please read next post.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Another thought.

Your BSOD error code that you related to aford10 in an above reply would seem to implicate the atapi based storage devices in the problem (but taking into account the varying files involved in the BSODs I think you had better take a closer look at your power supply. If you think that there is even one bad cap on your board, then chances are there are ones worse off in your P/S. If it isn't under warranty, perhaps you should open it up and visually inspect the caps in the power supply unit itself. Don't poke or prod around in there with your finger or screwdriver as you could still get zapped by shock even if it is unplugged from the AC power, which it definitely should be at this point!

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I have been running in safe mode with networking for awhile now and i have not had any issues with BSOD or anything. I have been surfing the net, i tried to install call of duty 4 (because i knew it always gave me some kind of error) but im guessing from the limitations of safe mode i could not install games. so im not sure i will begin the memtests here shortly and will give an update when i finish them.

Jason

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
If you can run in safe mode successfully without the error occuring that would normally point towards a driver conflict or software conflict when in normal mode, as Safe Mode starts the computer with minimal features and basic drivers. This is why you couldn't install/play your game. In safe mode, it is very unlikely that your computer 'technically' meets the games minimum requirements.

Does your computer have any add-in adapters other than the AGP video card?
Does your computer have a built-in video adapter as well as the AGP card? If so, I would remove the AGP card and run of the built-in video adapter just for the purpose of eliminiating the AGP card as the source of the problem. Also removed (for now) any other unneeded add-in cards like a modem etc.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
OK update time. I didn't start the memtest yet. I was actually filling out a job application online and the dreaded BSOD shows up again while in safe mode with networking. Information as follows from the entire BSOD:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your software or hardware manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable bios memory options such as cacheing or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** Stop: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFF0, 0x00000000, 0x804EA580, 0x00000000)

There is the exact message while in safe mode with networking. This is a fresh install of winXP Pro MCE SP3. All updates downloaded and installed. I did not install any new hardware.

Now for the reply to digitalprospect:
Well the whole successful safe mode went out the window lol.

"Does your computer have any add-in adapters other than the AGP video card?" no

"Does your computer have a built-in video adapter as well as the AGP card?" The only onboard components are sound LAN and usb. Video requires an addin card. I currently have an AGP nvidia 6800 and a PCI nvidia FX 5500.

EDIT:
I still have the 2Gb (2X1) in the b1 b2 slots (was getting errors with a1 a2 just havent switched back to a1 a2 yet. Pretty sure it wont change the errors though.)

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
OK I have used ccleaner before I actually used it on a regular basis so I know how the program works. I will start the memtests here shortly. I am curious though how could my registry be corrupt or have errors if it is a fresh install of the OS??

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
The unfunny thing about Windows is that as soon as you have even just one improper shutdown it is possible to have corruption. Ain't that nice!

Swap out the AGP card for the PCI video adapter just to rule out video (an outside possibility but still... process of elimination).

I would even suggest doing a chkdsk on the hard drive. You can go to the hard drive manufacturer's website, and download their diagnostic tool, or go to start-->run-->chkdsk /r-->it will run the next time you restart, and scan/repair any damage it can.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

OK like i said i am willing to do anything even if i have already done it that way you know it has been done and can then rule out that issue. once im done getting my floppy ready for memtest i will install and run it.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Will do this after i run ccleaner

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

hence why i hate computers and bill gates..... i have swapped those out before from a few suggestions from my friend and the same still occurs so if anything i know it isnt the agp slot or either card at all

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

The paired sticks:
PQI PC3200 1GB Dual Channel
3-4-4-8

I have 3 sticks the third is a completely different stick speed and timings are:
PQI PC3200 1GB (looks like single channel)
cas latency 3 i looked for the specfic timings but this is what i could find.

I believe both are ddr 400 as well.