Question Multiple BSOD (ntokskrnl.exe, ndis.sys, tcpip.sys) crashing my MSI Laptop

jayiarts

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
When I first received the laptop, I decided to clone the OS from the HDD to the SSD using the Samsung software. I also bought a Crucial ramstick for dual channels, but it runs at 2400 instead of the advertised 2666mhz that my Samsung stick runs at. I don't think there's any faulty RAM sticks because I ran the memtest86 and there weren't any errors. It has crashed numerous of times throughout the year, so I was wondering if you guys can offer me any help. It would be greatly appreciated. I'll also include an image file with some information that Whocrashed has provided me with.

• OS - Windows 10
  • x64
  • Windows 10
  • OEM Version
  • Age of system (hardware) - 1.8 Years
  • Age of OS installation - No, I just cloned it from my HDD to my SSD
  • CPU model - Intel i7 8750H
  • Video Card model - Geforce GTX 1060
  • MotherBoard - Laptop
  • System Manufacturer - MSI
  • Exact model number - GP73 Leopard 8RE Laptop

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i can guess based on the topic.

ndis.sys = network driver Interface Specification
tcpip.sys = transmission control protocol/internet protocol.

Update lan or wifi drivers.

your color scheme made post appear blank if you use the dark theme, I have removed colors. I was trying to work out how you did it :)

1. can you go to C:/windows/minidump
  2. copy files from here to another folder
  3. upload the copies from new folder to a file sharing website and show link here

Last edited:

jayiarts

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
i can guess based on the topic.

ndis.sys = network driver Interface Specification
tcpip.sys = transmission control protocol/internet protocol.

Update lan or wifi drivers.

your color scheme made post appear blank if you use the dark theme, I have removed colors. I was trying to work out how you did it :)

1. can you go to C:/windows/minidump
  2. copy files from here to another folder
  3. upload the copies from new folder to a file sharing website and show link here

Thanks for the reply, I used a vlog to collect some of the data, and it copied the minidump files too. Would that work?

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/0F2VpHAlCw4fS7kGyJsjzyxYfWNeOJ3IHfLRTDNXDr8

Colif

Win 11 Master
500mb is a big file. try uploading just the minidumps as they are at most a few mb in size, not half a gb.

The person I ask to check files hasn't got very good internet and that would take him too long.

jayiarts

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
500mb is a big file. try uploading just the minidumps as they are at most a few mb in size, not half a gb.

The person I ask to check files hasn't got very good internet and that would take him too long.

Oh okay, I went into my minidump folder and found several folders but there's a dmp file outside of those folders called NDIS-20201119-0019 that's about 1.8gb. Is that of any importance? I can upload the other files though, they all add up to 18mb.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VaKRlpgIZXkCbBB9PJHedHn3CpyJv0cA/view?usp=sharing

Colif

Win 11 Master
no idea what the 1.8gb file is. digits show it was created 19th November 2020, so today? maybe to do with that vlog you created.

I will ask my friend to look at 2nd link, he is asleep now though.

jayiarts

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
no idea what the 1.8gb file is. digits show it was created 19th November 2020, so today? maybe to do with that vlog you created.

I will ask my friend to look at 2nd link, he is asleep now though.

I think so, that may be it. I'm updating my LAN & Wifi drivers at the moment.

Though my ram sticks prove to not have any errors on em, they are different mhz, and cas, would that cause problems? The Crucial Ram Stick should run at 2666mhz as advertised but apparently, it only runs at 2666mhz when its overclocked using XMP, but on default, it runs on 2400mhz.

I tried installing the updates from Windows but it kept giving me a loop where it says, "We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes, Do not turn off your computer", until it finally resolves itself and restart properly. This kept happening to the point where it hindered my usage), so I decided to turn off Windows updates completely.
View: https://imgur.com/evJJKHm

Colif

Win 11 Master
if the bsod moves to another driver, and keeps blaming something else, its possible cause could be the ram.
ram speeds sounds about right. They advertise ram at its XMP settings, not native. mine is 2400 unless I run xmp, then its 3200.

windows update
see if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 20H2.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1803...ouch...

Um, you should update win 10, it might fix this problem since an update essentially replaces the win 10 install.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
use another PC which doesn't have a broken Windows update
Once installer created on USB, put it in this PC
go to file explorer and navigate to the USB
run setup on the USB and agree to updating current install

this should update you to the November 2020 build. You currently on the 2018 March build.

jayiarts

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
After running the SFC scan, it says: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

Path :
Online : False
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded : False

This is what I got from trying to repair Windows image.

Does it have to be an another PC? The only other laptop that I have on me is my Dell which is running Windows 7, not sure if that'd be a problem. By updating the current install, will the wipe the data on my C drive?

Colif

Win 11 Master
both show pc is okay, fixing windows update is always fun.

Does it have to be an another PC? The only other laptop that I have on me is my Dell which is running Windows 7, not sure if that'd be a problem. By updating the current install, will the wipe the data on my C drive?
you can make ISO using win 7 I think.

no, it won't delete anything but it always pays to have backups just in case. If the update doesn't work it will revert itself.

jayiarts

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
both show pc is okay, fixing windows update is always fun.

you can make ISO using win 7 I think.

no, it won't delete anything but it always pays to have backups just in case. If the update doesn't work it will revert itself.

Which media should I choose, USB flash drive or ISO file?
Does it have to be a USB drive, it seems that I need a USB drive at least 8GB but I lent out my 32gb drive, I only have my 4gb on me at the moment. I do have a separate external HDD though.

Colif

Win 11 Master
ISO is used to burn it onto a DVD or onto a USB.

only install medium you can use is DVD or USB.
it won't fit on a 4gb, its a struggle to get it onto an 8gb too. I generally use a 16gb myself.

since USB is not something we can do today, try going to settings/update & security/troubleshoot and run the windows update troubelshooter and see if it can fix anything.

jayiarts

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
ISO is used to burn it onto a DVD or onto a USB.

only install medium you can use is DVD or USB.
it won't fit on a 4gb, its a struggle to get it onto an 8gb too. I generally use a 16gb myself.

since USB is not something we can do today, try going to settings/update & security/troubleshoot and run the windows update troubelshooter and see if it can fix anything.

Gonna see if I can borrow one for the time being, I'll post updates when I do get one

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, the smaller dumps are not regular minidumps. Minidumps can be found in the C:\Windows\minidump folder.

I tried looking at the smaller dumps that you uploaded but was having issues. Try uploading a ZIP file of just the regular minidumps only.

Or you can wait until after you do the update and see if you are still crashing, then upload the minidumps.

gardenman

Splendid
Is it OK if I post the result here? Since you sent them by PM, I don't want to upset you by posting the results here. There's no personally identifiable info in them and my software strips out serial numbers and such.

Reactions: jayiarts

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you take the new stick of ram out and see if you keep getting BSOD? 2 different brand memory, even at same speeds might not be compatible. Its hard enough getting 2 sticks made by same company with same model numbers to work together.

Have you updated win 10 since these?

I would remove this
Jun 04 2010winio64.sysMSI Dragon Gaming Center driver
as a 2010 file isn't a win 10 file.
Your wifi drivers are from 2016 but lan is 2018, which do you use?
finding newer killer drivers is a little tricky now that intel bought the company and only supports its own stuff now.
Intel makes the LAN on your PC.

jayiarts

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Is it OK if I post the result here? Since you sent them by PM, I don't want to upset you by posting the results here. There's no personally identifiable info in them and my software strips out serial numbers and such.

Yes, that's okay. Thanks for letting me know. :)

can you take the new stick of ram out and see if you keep getting BSOD? 2 different brand memory, even at same speeds might not be compatible. Its hard enough getting 2 sticks made by same company with same model numbers to work together.

Have you updated win 10 since these?

I would remove this
Jun 04 2010winio64.sysMSI Dragon Gaming Center driver
as a 2010 file isn't a win 10 file.
Your wifi drivers are from 2016 but lan is 2018, which do you use?
finding newer killer drivers is a little tricky now that intel bought the company and only supports its own stuff now.
Intel makes the LAN on your PC.

I updated the LAN & Wifi drivers using MSI's website.

Haven't had any BSODs for the past 2-3 days but they're pretty random throughout the year. Oh was the Gaming Centre causing issues? I sometimes use it to control the RGB on my laptop.

jayiarts

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
I didn't find anything pointing at the MSI gaming software, I just saw how old it was and often old drivers can cause problems.

Did you update windows?

Funny enough, when I tried updating Windows, everything downloaded properly. It was initiating the install, and then it prompted me to restart. After I restarted the laptop, it gave me the same loop where it said it couldn't apply the updates and was undoing the changes. It looped for a few times, and then booted Windows normally. When I went to the update history, I found 3 updates went through but the rest of them failed.

Should I reset Windows and choose the option to keep the files or do a fresh install? I won't get an USB delivered for another 3-4 days.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it sounds to me like a clean install is the only way you will get past the problem it seems to have with that restart.

Microsoft changed how updating worked in the past but I am pretty sure that was before 1803. Jumping 2.5 years of updates in one move might be too much for your windows updater to handle at once... Fresh install won't give it any choice.