Question Multiple BSODS after clean install and different parts.

Jun 22, 2020
Hello,

I've had different BSOD's for the past year. Tried everything from changing parts to formatting PCs and installing only a few drivers or all of them.

The thing that helped the most was windows updates, sometimes I'd go without a BSOD for 1/4 weeks but then I updated it and they started again.

Last week I started getting a "USB overcurrent detected, system will shut down in 15 seconds" though, so I figured it was time to change the motherboard and so I did.

First system:

RYZEN 3600
Asus TUF B450M
GSKILL 2x8GB 3200MHz
SSD CORSAIR MP510 240GB
HD TOSHIBA HDWD120 2 TB
SAPPHIRE RX 580 4GB
CORSAIR CX550W
LOGITECH G603 MOUSE, G512 KEYBOARD, G533 HEADSET

Tried a lot of things like I've stated before, ran memtests, tried no XMP, changed ram to HyperX Predator, nothing helped.

Decided to get a new MB and cleaned every single part of the PC.

Tried a clean install and as soon as windows started I got the first BSOD. Installed chipset, video, audio and lan drivers, updated windows and kept getting 1/2 BSODs a day. The funny thing is they never happen while I'm gaming or running any intensive task. Only when browsing the web, listening to music or working on excel.

Second system:

RYZEN 3600
GYGABYTE AORUS B550 ELITE
HyperX Predator 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz
SSD CORSAIR MP510 240GB
HD TOSHIBA HDWD120 2 TB
SAPPHIRE RX 580 4GB
CORSAIR CX550W
LOGITECH G603 MOUSE, G512 KEYBOARD, G533 HEADSET

Any advices? I'll post the latest dumps:

4 DUMPS

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlPs5aawCA1aiLRnu_TJDHVL9qaLYA?e=2lI9d4

When you installed the new board, did you make sure to change the standoff pattern so that it was correct for an ATX motherboard rather than for a microATX motherboard?

Did you go to the motherboard product page and check to see if there were any newer BIOS updates than what you have currently installed?

Did you also download and install the latest AMD B550 chipset driver from the AMD website, specifically, from the AMD website?

Did you download and install all of these drivers?:

Audio chipset: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_612_realtekdch_6.0.8945.1.zip

LAN/Ethernet driver: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_542_w10_10.038.1118.2019.zip

And, how long has that CX550w been in service? Did you get it when you built the previous system or did you have it even before that?

Reactions: RodroX
Jun 22, 2020
When you installed the new board, did you make sure to change the standoff pattern so that it was correct for an ATX motherboard rather than for a microATX motherboard?

Did you go to the motherboard product page and check to see if there were any newer BIOS updates than what you have currently installed?

Did you also download and install the latest AMD B550 chipset driver from the AMD website, specifically, from the AMD website?

Did you download and install all of these drivers?:

Audio chipset: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_612_realtekdch_6.0.8945.1.zip

LAN/Ethernet driver: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_542_w10_10.038.1118.2019.zip

And, how long has that CX550w been in service? Did you get it when you built the previous system or did you have it even before that?

- Updated the BIOS 3/4 times on the B450M throughout the year and also updated the BIOS on the new B550.

- Tried the B550 chipset driver both from Gigabyte and AMDs website.

- Installed both the Audio and LAN drivers

- CX550 was bought in Jan-2020 along with the first system hardware, all new. I have run stress tests for hours on both CPU and GPU at the same time and nothing happens.

Actually, the B550 Aorus Elite is ATX, and the TUF B450M was micro ATX. That's what the M in any motherboard model name after the chipset designation stands for.

You shouldn't have had to remove any, you should have had to MOVE two of them though. And how it affects things is, if they are not ALL in the correct places, they will likely make contact with electrical traces or solder points, or other electrical circuits, on the bottom of the motherboard, and short something out. This can cause big problems, or minor ones, depending on the design of the motherboard. I've seen people with extra standoffs or standoffs in the wrong locations go a year or two without realizing it and then at some point it wears through the protective coating on the motherboard and starts causing problems, or other times it immediately causes problems.

That might not be your problem at all, but considering this problem has followed you through two builds, with different motherboards, you have to start looking at something that DIDN'T change, and usually or at least quite often when somebody has a problem like this from the very start when they build a new system, and then changes boards and it's still there, there's a really good chance it's a standoff issue, or an issue with bent pins on the CPU.

You may want to remove the CPU and take a VERY CLOSE look at it. A bent pin of only around ten to twenty degrees is enough to cause issues, and they'll probably be hard to find.

Also, WHICH DIMM slots do you have the memory installed in? Are they in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket, going left to right?

Jun 22, 2020
Actually, the B550 Aorus Elite is ATX, and the TUF B450M was micro ATX. That's what the M in any motherboard model name after the chipset designation stands for.

You shouldn't have had to remove any, you should have had to MOVE two of them though. And how it affects things is, if they are not ALL in the correct places, they will likely make contact with electrical traces or solder points, or other electrical circuits, on the bottom of the motherboard, and short something out. This can cause big problems, or minor ones, depending on the design of the motherboard. I've seen people with extra standoffs or standoffs in the wrong locations go a year or two without realizing it and then at some point it wears through the protective coating on the motherboard and starts causing problems, or other times it immediately causes problems.

That might not be your problem at all, but considering this problem has followed you through two builds, with different motherboards, you have to start looking at something that DIDN'T change, and usually or at least quite often when somebody has a problem like this from the very start when they build a new system, and then changes boards and it's still there, there's a really good chance it's a standoff issue, or an issue with bent pins on the CPU.

You may want to remove the CPU and take a VERY CLOSE look at it. A bent pin of only around ten to twenty degrees is enough to cause issues, and they'll probably be hard to find.

Also, WHICH DIMM slots do you have the memory installed in? Are they in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket, going left to right?

It was my bad actually, it's the "B550M AORUS ELITE" which is mATX and smaller than the B450M that I had before. I will make sure the standoffs are not touching anything they're not supposed to. I didn't do a thorough check on the CPU's pins before installing it in the new motherboard though.

The DIMM slots are 2 and 4 for dual channel. In the previous build I tested each separately but got BSODs on both.

In the previous build I tested each separately but got BSODs on both.
Tested, how? Did you run Memtest86 on the memory, at the stock non-XMP configuration, to see if there were problems with the DIMMs themselves? If not, that would be a really good idea.

Memtest86

Go to the Passmark software website and download the USB Memtest86 free version. You can do the optical disk version too if for some reason you cannot use a bootable USB flash drive.

Create bootable media using the downloaded Memtest86. Once you have done that, go into your BIOS and configure the system to boot to the USB drive that contains the Memtest86 USB media or the optical drive if using that option.

You CAN use Memtest86+, as they've recently updated the program after MANY years of no updates, but for the purpose of this guide I recommend using the Passmark version as this is a tried and true utility while I've not had the opportunity to investigate the reliability of the latest 86+ release as compared to Memtest86. Possibly, consider using Memtest86+ as simply a secondary test to Memtest86, much as Windows memory diagnostic utility and Prime95 Blend or custom modes can be used for a second opinion utility.

Create a bootable USB Flash drive:

1. Download the Windows MemTest86 USB image.

2. Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here" option. This places the USB image and imaging tool into the current folder.

3. Run the included imageUSB tool, it should already have the image file selected and you just need to choose which connected USB drive to turn into a bootable drive. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.

No memory should ever fail to pass Memtest86 when it is at the default configuration that the system sets it at when you start out or do a clear CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for five minutes.

Best method for testing memory is to first run four passes of Memtest86, all 11 tests, WITH the memory at the default configuration. This should be done BEFORE setting the memory to the XMP profile settings. The paid version has 13 tests but the free version only has tests 1-10 and test 13. So run full passes of all 11 tests. Be sure to download the latest version of Memtest86. Memtest86+ has not been updated in MANY years. It is NO-WISE as good as regular Memtest86 from Passmark software.

If there are ANY errors, at all, then the memory configuration is not stable. Bumping the DRAM voltage up slightly may resolve that OR you may need to make adjustments to the primary timings. There are very few secondary or tertiary timings that should be altered. I can tell you about those if you are trying to tighten your memory timings.

If you cannot pass Memtest86 with the memory at the XMP configuration settings then I would recommend restoring the memory to the default JEDEC SPD of 1333/2133mhz (Depending on your platform and memory type) with everything left on the auto/default configuration and running Memtest86 over again. If it completes the four full passes without error you can try again with the XMP settings but first try bumping the DRAM voltage up once again by whatever small increment the motherboard will allow you to increase it by. If it passes, great, move on to the Prime95 testing.

If it still fails, try once again bumping the voltage if you are still within the maximum allowable voltage for your memory type and test again. If it still fails, you are likely going to need more advanced help with configuring your primary timings and should return the memory to the default configuration until you can sort it out.

If the memory will not pass Memtest86 for four passes when it IS at the stock default non-XMP configuration, even after a minor bump in voltage, then there is likely something physically wrong with one or more of the memory modules and I'd recommend running Memtest on each individual module, separately, to determine which module is causing the issue. If you find a single module that is faulty you should contact the seller or the memory manufacturer and have them replace the memory as a SET. Memory comes matched for a reason as I made clear earlier and if you let them replace only one module rather than the entire set you are back to using unmatched memory which is an open door for problems with incompatible memory.

Be aware that you SHOULD run Memtest86 to test the memory at the default, non-XMP, non-custom profile settings BEFORE ever making any changes to the memory configuration so that you will know if the problem is a setting or is a physical problem with the memory.

Jun 22, 2020
Tested, how? Did you run Memtest86 on the memory, at the stock non-XMP configuration, to see if there were problems with the DIMMs themselves? If not, that would be a really good idea.

Memtest86

Go to the Passmark software website and download the USB Memtest86 free version. You can do the optical disk version too if for some reason you cannot use a bootable USB flash drive.

Create bootable media using the downloaded Memtest86. Once you have done that, go into your BIOS and configure the system to boot to the USB drive that contains the Memtest86 USB media or the optical drive if using that option.

You CAN use Memtest86+, as they've recently updated the program after MANY years of no updates, but for the purpose of this guide I recommend using the Passmark version as this is a tried and true utility while I've not had the opportunity to investigate the reliability of the latest 86+ release as compared to Memtest86. Possibly, consider using Memtest86+ as simply a secondary test to Memtest86, much as Windows memory diagnostic utility and Prime95 Blend or custom modes can be used for a second opinion utility.

Create a bootable USB Flash drive:

1. Download the Windows MemTest86 USB image.

2. Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here" option. This places the USB image and imaging tool into the current folder.

3. Run the included imageUSB tool, it should already have the image file selected and you just need to choose which connected USB drive to turn into a bootable drive. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.

No memory should ever fail to pass Memtest86 when it is at the default configuration that the system sets it at when you start out or do a clear CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for five minutes.

Best method for testing memory is to first run four passes of Memtest86, all 11 tests, WITH the memory at the default configuration. This should be done BEFORE setting the memory to the XMP profile settings. The paid version has 13 tests but the free version only has tests 1-10 and test 13. So run full passes of all 11 tests. Be sure to download the latest version of Memtest86. Memtest86+ has not been updated in MANY years. It is NO-WISE as good as regular Memtest86 from Passmark software.

If there are ANY errors, at all, then the memory configuration is not stable. Bumping the DRAM voltage up slightly may resolve that OR you may need to make adjustments to the primary timings. There are very few secondary or tertiary timings that should be altered. I can tell you about those if you are trying to tighten your memory timings.

If you cannot pass Memtest86 with the memory at the XMP configuration settings then I would recommend restoring the memory to the default JEDEC SPD of 1333/2133mhz (Depending on your platform and memory type) with everything left on the auto/default configuration and running Memtest86 over again. If it completes the four full passes without error you can try again with the XMP settings but first try bumping the DRAM voltage up once again by whatever small increment the motherboard will allow you to increase it by. If it passes, great, move on to the Prime95 testing.

If it still fails, try once again bumping the voltage if you are still within the maximum allowable voltage for your memory type and test again. If it still fails, you are likely going to need more advanced help with configuring your primary timings and should return the memory to the default configuration until you can sort it out.

If the memory will not pass Memtest86 for four passes when it IS at the stock default non-XMP configuration, even after a minor bump in voltage, then there is likely something physically wrong with one or more of the memory modules and I'd recommend running Memtest on each individual module, separately, to determine which module is causing the issue. If you find a single module that is faulty you should contact the seller or the memory manufacturer and have them replace the memory as a SET. Memory comes matched for a reason as I made clear earlier and if you let them replace only one module rather than the entire set you are back to using unmatched memory which is an open door for problems with incompatible memory.

Be aware that you SHOULD run Memtest86 to test the memory at the default, non-XMP, non-custom profile settings BEFORE ever making any changes to the memory configuration so that you will know if the problem is a setting or is a physical problem with the memory.

I ended up checking the standoffs and they're matching the holes on the motherboard, CPU pins seem ok too. I even checked the B450M's back and I could not find any sign of tear due to standoffs being in the wrong place.

I tested the first memory set(GSKILL), using a single 8gb stick at a time and I would swap whenever I got a BSOD, tried with both XMP ON(3000mhz and 3200mhz) and OFF with optimized default bios settings. I also tried memtest86 default config but only with the first set(GSKILL) and XMP was on, no errors.

I appreciate all your advice and I will be running memtest86 on the newer memory(hyperx) and I will be sure to follow the guidelines you've provided.

I also got a BSOD this afternoon while watching a youtube video, here is the dump:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlPs5aawCA1aiLgXeFTPasMaqMsGog?e=PXogvd

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/vrd3fg4y/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:110320-6921-01.dmp (Nov 3 2020 - 16:11:48)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ?)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 51 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

File information:110220-6671-01.dmp (Nov 2 2020 - 19:43:02)
Bugcheck:BAD_OBJECT_HEADER (189)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ?)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 19 Sec(s)

File information:110120-6812-01.dmp (Nov 1 2020 - 14:53:24)
Bugcheck:IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE (4A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: NGUIdle.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 51 Sec(s)

File information:102920-6859-01.dmp (Oct 29 2020 - 07:15:57)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 39 Sec(s)

File information:102920-6015-01.dmp (Oct 29 2020 - 00:37:51)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL (192)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Plex Media Scanner.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 29 Min(s), and 40 Sec(s)
Comment: Numerous symbol errors in a few of the dumps. Maybe the most errors I've seen in a while. This just means that it's harder to read the files.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10
I usually can't tell which "revision" of a motherboard that you have, so be sure the page is right. You are using BIOS version F10 and the latest is F11d. There is a BIOS update available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else (@Colif ?) will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: Darkbreeze

Colif

Win 11 Master
crash 1 could be lan drivers. There isn't much in the error and the one line I can get any meaning from is tcpip.sys
there are newer lan drivers here - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/B550M-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-lan
crash 2 is new... i haven't seen it before and I can't really tell what cause is as most of the dump is missing. (1st reaction to unusual BSOD is check ram, so I see memtest is suggested.
crash 3 is unclear, memory actions
crash 4 seems to involve a USB Audio device?
crash 5 is like crash 3.

all could be caused by bad ram, it can make good drivers look bad.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the new dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/xhn57wec/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:110520-9062-01.dmp (Nov 4 2020 - 23:43:27)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: qbittorrent.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 25 Min(s), and 24 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Do you have a bittorent client installed? Is ANY of the software you are running software you got through a torrent or other, ahem, questionable source, that is not strictly legitimate? If so, I'd get it OFF the system, and probably I'd recommend that you do a clean install and then NOT reinstall that software. These kinds of softwares are OFTEN known for causing a variety of problems like what you're experiencing, among other things, like serious malware infections.

Reactions: gardenman

Colif

Win 11 Master
That crash was lan drivers again, it mentions afd.sys which is a windows file associated with internet access. Fact it crashed the torrent software is a clue too.
You still had the old ones on at the time.
Nov 18 2019rt640x64.sysRealtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver
these are the same as last lot of BSOD
to make sure they are new, go here and click the 3rd link down under the windows header - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Jun 22, 2020
I use QBittorrent for movies and tv shows and run a Plex Server. No illegal/cracked software. All I have installed is LoL, battlenet, bluestacks, office 365 suite, logitech g hub, radeon software and steam. I've also tried to run the system on a clean install with only the NVME for windows and a few applications, torrent was not included and all its files were on the HD.

Jun 22, 2020
That crash was lan drivers again, it mentions afd.sys which is a windows file associated with internet access. Fact it crashed the torrent software is a clue too.
You still had the old ones on at the time.
Nov 18 2019rt640x64.sysRealtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver
these are the same as last lot of BSOD
to make sure they are new, go here and click the 3rd link down under the windows header - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Tried that option and it showed me the "repair" option. I chose uninstall, rebooted and installed it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you run this for me - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

What USB Audio devices do you have? might be a camera?

One of the 1st batch of BSOD

Dump 4 mentions
WdFilter.sys which is part of windows defender
USBXHCI which is the USB Extensible Host Controller Interface
usbaudio -USB Audio Class system driver - The USB Audio class system driver (Usbaudio.sys) is an AVStream minidriver that provides driver support for audio devices that comply with the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Device Class Definition for Audio Devices. - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi.../usb-audio-class-system-driver--usbaudio-sys-
ks.sys - a Windows core file that manages video capture and the associated drivers.

I don't see any drivers this relates to. I don't think this is a lan based error as the mention of defender is right at start, last few actions with any drivers I can nail down to a specific purpose are listed above. Every other transaction is done by the kernel.

Jun 22, 2020
can you run this for me - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

What USB Audio devices do you have? might be a camera?

One of the 1st batch of BSOD

Dump 4 mentions
WdFilter.sys which is part of windows defender
USBXHCI which is the USB Extensible Host Controller Interface
usbaudio -USB Audio Class system driver - The USB Audio class system driver (Usbaudio.sys) is an AVStream minidriver that provides driver support for audio devices that comply with the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Device Class Definition for Audio Devices. - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi.../usb-audio-class-system-driver--usbaudio-sys-
ks.sys - a Windows core file that manages video capture and the associated drivers.

I don't see any drivers this relates to. I don't think this is a lan based error as the mention of defender is right at start, last few actions with any drivers I can nail down to a specific purpose are listed above. Every other transaction is done by the kernel.

I use 3 USB devices only.

2 ports for the Logitech G512 Keyboard, for the keyboard itself and its extension in which I plug my mouse on.

1 port for the wifi adapter of Logitech Headset G533

I ran the sysnative, here are the results:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlPs5aawCA1aiL0VOzXhHhj4Iiih4Q?e=vulhet

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/0fhk6uew/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:110720-7484-01.dmp (Nov 6 2020 - 22:51:37)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: audiodg.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 11 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 49 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
audiodg = windows audio device graph isolation. Normally see this crash if its sound drivers.
But the headset wouldn't use realtek drivers as they only apply to wired devices plugged into the case.

Your Logitech G533 gaming headset uses USBAUDIO.sys as its driver, that is one of the files mentioned in the crash I mentioned above.

Strange thing is, the G512 keyboard didn't turn on after the reboot. I had to unplug and plug it back.

That makes sense, both headset and Keyboard use G Hub. If the error caused by Headset somehow, its going to crash the keyboard as well. You might want to repair/uninstall and reinstall G Hub and see if that helps

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/xum9o1zh/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:110720-7062-01.dmp (Nov 7 2020 - 05:10:57)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: NGUIdle.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)