Discussion Multiple BSODs after trying to reinstall Windows 10

Jun 6, 2019
My gaming PC I built about 2 years ago received a BSOD recently and I'm having trouble trying to figure out the problem and I've been trying to reinstall Windows 10. After contacting Microsoft support I was informed to clear my SSD and perform a fresh reinstallation of Windows 10. However, after trying to boot Windows 10 from a USB drive and DVD, both methods wouldn't work and I kept receiving a BSOD after multiple attempts. The stop code I keep receiving was "Machine Check Exception"

Things I've tried already:
  • Booting Windows 10 from a USB drive and DVD
  • Updating my bios to the newest version
  • Flashing my bios back to the previous version
  • Checked RAM Sticks
  • Memtest86 but it froze at 58% pass, Test 14%, Test 7 (Moving inversions, 32-bit pattern)
  • Safe boot and having everything run on stock/default
PC Specs:
  • CPU: Intel i7 8700K
  • CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi AC
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3200 2x8 GB
  • Storage: Samsung Evo 960 M.2-2280 500 GB, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
  • Video Card: ASUS Strix Gaming OC Edition 1080 Ti
  • PSU: Corsair RM650x
Not sure what else I should do and try, any help and advice is appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Why wouldn't Memtest boot from flash drive? You mean it would bypass the drive when you booted? If so, press F12 (I think) to get the boot menu when you start up. A bad memory stick would be the first thing I'd suspect. Check each stick individually for at least one full pass.

BTW, which Asus Strix card do you have? You didn't specify.

Jun 6, 2019
Sorry I editted it now. I just have Memtest on my USB and when I try to boot from it says an "An operating system wasn't found, try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system." I don't have Windows 10 installed because of my previous BSOD and for some reason Memtest doesn't boot up.

Jun 6, 2019
I finally got Memtest to work but froze at Pass 58%, Test 14%,Test 7 (Moving inversions, 32-bit pattern).

Edit: Restarted Memtest and it's stuck on the initialization "Testing multiprocessor support..."
I'm not sure what's causing it to freeze. Maybe it's from the BSOD I'm been having prior to conducting Memtest?

Last edited: