[SOLVED] Multiple BSODs lately after new hard drive plugged in

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
PC Specs:
Intel DH55TC Motherboard
Core i7 860
8 GB Super Talent PC3-10700 DDR3 (4x2 GB)
GeForce GTX 660
500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD + 4 TB WD Red (possible cause of blue screens)
Windows 10 Pro 1803
Corsair TX750 (~7 years old)

I recently bought a used 4 TB WD Red HDD to use as a home network drive on this PC as well as a local OneDrive storage. Everything worked fine for a few days but then all of a sudden, this PC started getting dozens of BSOD's constantly. It wouldn't log into windows for than a few minutes before getting another bluescreen. Most of the errors seem to be related to memory management. Got BSOD's like:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I looked at the minidumps and they all seem to involve ntoskrnl.exe crashing. A couple here and there also involve other things like ntfs.sys, classpnp.sys, and win32kbase.sys also crashing. There's dozens of minidump files but they're pretty consistent with the crashes above.

I did remove the WD Red drive and that seems to have soled the issue. So far I haven't had a BSOD again. I'd like to know though if it's really possible for a faulty drive that's not where the OS is installed to cause so many BSODs? I've had a couple failing secondary hard drives before a long time ago but I don't remember any of them causing BSODs. So I'm wondering if the cause really is the new hard drive or if there's something else that could be causing it and the hard drive is just somehow the trigger for it?

Crash dump list here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5cetdw6peb17g2o/report.html?dl=0

Last edited:
Solution
You forgot to include the make and model of your PSU as well as it's age. You're also not supposed to be on 1803, we're currently on 1903 and soon to be on 1909. You should reinstall your OS.

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
You forgot to include the make and model of your PSU as well as it's age. You're also not supposed to be on 1803, we're currently on 1903 and soon to be on 1909. You should reinstall your OS.

Just updated the specs with the PSU. It's a Corsair TX750W that's probably around 7 years old now, maybe a year or two older. I'll try manually updating my OS though, for some reason Windows Update isn't showing any OS updates when I search for one. So is it likely it's the OS causing it rather than the new hard drive I added to it being faulty?