Question Multiple BSoDs per day - New Windows Installation, 0 Errors on Memtest86

Tumor

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
EDIT: One of the RAM sticks is definitely and unquestionably broken, even if Memtest86 says otherwise. I don't need any help anymore. This thread can be closed. (I'll remove the dump files and logs since they're not needed anymore and I have no idea what information they contain about me and my computer.)

There have been lots of Bluescreen posts lately, but it's hard to tell if the cause for my problem is the same, so I guess I'll have to open a new thread for this... I'll start with the dumps and the specs:
[Minidump 1], [Minidump 2], [Minidump 3], [Minidump 4], [Minidump 5]

Specs:
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K3
CPU: Intel i7 7700k
GPU: Radeon RX 480 (MSI 8GB)
RAM: Crucial 8GB (4 sticks, 2x 2666MHz, 2x 2400 MHz)
Windows 10, up to date, running on a freshly formated Samsung Evo 500GB.

Do you need anything else? Probably not, since I listed everything except for my HDDs.

Description:
One day after switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I bought 2 new RAM sticks. I'm not entirely sure, but I think I didn't have any problems for a few days or so. The first few BSODs (about 1 per day) were all related to "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT". Since my first thought was that the new RAM sticks might be broken, I used Memtest86, but apparently there is nothing wrong with them, since I got 0 Errors. [Memtest86.log] Note: I only did 2 runs on two different occasions since it takes so long. I hope I don't have to spend a whole day doing nothing but waiting for the PC to finish a few more runs.

CrystalDiskInfo says that my SSD and my HDDs are fine too, and I even ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, which of course also said that there is nothing wrong. I also ran "sfc /scannow" and "chkdsk /f /r". The former said it had to fix a few files, the latter didn't give me anything to look at.

Over the time I got more and more Bluescreens (some of them were MEMORY_MANAGEMENT ones, but most of them weren't), so I decided to reinstall Windows completely. Sadly, while still being busy with copying my personal data from my backup, I got another BSOD. I think it was a "ntoskrnl.exe" one, but I'm not sure anymore. I set it up to create Minidumps after that point. Another issue I noticed is that Firefox tabs crash on a regular basis. Sometimes it's only a single tab, sometimes it's the whole browser that dies. Other programs and games often crash too.

In my opinion, there are only two things that could cause this:
  • Windows 10 (Before that, I think I didn't have any Bluescreens since I switched to Vista more than a decade ago...)
  • One of the new 2666MHz RAM sticks might be broken even though Memtest86 couldn't find anything, but how am I supposed to find out which one, and why wouldn't it show up in the test?
What's the next step? If one of the RAM sticks is broken, would it the PC crash immediately if I tried to boot up with only the broken one inserted?

Last edited:

The Paladin

Glorious
Herald
BSOD can be cause by bad ram but IS NOT the primary cause, most olf the time it is a corrupted driver, a resident driver that your system see conflict with another...or a bad program resident file that leaks and self imploded causing BSOD.

Tumor

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
As I said, I also had bluescreens directly after reinstalling Windows. The only driver I had actively installed at that point was the AMD graphics driver. The only programs I used at the time were Windows Explorer (obviously) and Firefox. If any of those were the primary cause for BSODs, this forum would be even more flooded with these posts than it already is.

On one hand, everything points to my hardware being broken, but on the other hand, all tests say that everything is fine...

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS