[SOLVED] Multiple cables from modem to switch??

lambo7

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2013
Hi. This is probably a stupid question but I’d like to know the answer. If my modem has 4 gigabit ports and I need more. If I got a 16 port switch would I get a better result if I connect more leads between the modem and switch?? Ie. If I connect 3 leads from the modem to switch would that be faster as 1 lead is 1gigabit so it could handle 3 gigabit of info ? Sorry if it’s stupid.

Solution
Hi. This is probably a stupid question but I’d like to know the answer. If my modem has 4 gigabit ports and I need more. If I got a 16 port switch would I get a better result if I connect more leads between the modem and switch?? Ie. If I connect 3 leads from the modem to switch would that be faster as 1 lead is 1gigabit so it could handle 3 gigabit of info ? Sorry if it’s stupid.
No. With most consumer hardware you will break your network by connecting more than one cable. Without specific support for link aggregation, on both devices, you will create a loop which could break your network.

kanewolf

Titan
No. With most consumer hardware you will break your network by connecting more than one cable. Without specific support for link aggregation, on both devices, you will create a loop which could break your network.

Reactions: lambo7
Solution
Yep! In my early days of learning I did just this and saw the resulting 'packet storm' light up all the activity lights on everything and everything also simultaneously stopped working.

Now, what you can do is still use the remaining 3 ports on your modem router combo unit for any devices that are close to it as it will be the same as plugging into your switch.