[SOLVED] multiple cores hitting over 100c

codewill

Prominent
Aug 5, 2020
I just put together my pc a few days ago, and I used a used kraken x61. The computer turns on and runs just fine, but when I take a look at hardware monitor, I'm seeing that multiple cores are hitting over 100c, while other cores are staying around 35c. This is all while idling. I'm not sure what is the issue, I've reseated the cooler, reapplied the thermal paste, but still no luck. The processsor is an i7 5960x.

Solution
It's Hwmonitor. Guaranteed it's a software malfunction.

There's no way a properly mounted cooler of any sort will show such large differences in cores. Radiant heat migrating from one core at 100°C would put its neighbor at a far closer temp than 35°C. You'd have to have somewhat massive air pockets in the paste to see such differences, regardless of aio or air cooler.

Leaving only the DTS (digital temp sensors inside the cores) as malfunctioning or the software.
I would first determine if the pump on your AIO is in fact working. It is a rare occurrence however it can happen even a brand new unit can be overlooked during quality control. Feel the water circulation pipes and if one is hot and the other cold then RMA. Also check your AIO is correctly cabled.
If the AIO is good then it' will probably be your CPU so check for any bent pins in the MB processor socket. If all pins are OK then RMA the CPU.
Do not continue to use your system until the issue is resolved as those temps will diminish your processor.

codewill

Prominent
Aug 5, 2020
I'm fairly sure the AIO is working. I have everything plugged in, and I feel the vibrations in the tubes. There's no bent pins on the motherboard as well.

codewill

Prominent
Aug 5, 2020
Actually I tried different CPU temp checking softwares, and they all reported my cores being normal. It appears that only hardware monitor is displaying my temps as abnormal. I'm thinking maybe this is just a software malfunction

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's Hwmonitor. Guaranteed it's a software malfunction.

There's no way a properly mounted cooler of any sort will show such large differences in cores. Radiant heat migrating from one core at 100°C would put its neighbor at a far closer temp than 35°C. You'd have to have somewhat massive air pockets in the paste to see such differences, regardless of aio or air cooler.

Leaving only the DTS (digital temp sensors inside the cores) as malfunctioning or the software.

Solution