Multiple devices plugged into one socket

JonGrose94

Prominent
Jun 24, 2019
Hi,

I need to know if it's safe to plug 4 x Desktops (300w each), 3 x Laptops (65w each), 1 x mini desktop (90w), 1 x monitor (50w), 1 x KVM (12w) in to an extension bar plugged into one mains socket?
I believe I read on this website that you can plug up to 2990w of power into one plug (based on 230v). The total is be using is under 1,600w so is that ok?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

If it is fused to 13A at 220V then you are OK, it's not ideal though for reasons that people think cables will magically burst into flames.

Would I put a 3KW kettle on a 4 way extension? No, that wouldn't feel right.

However that is 10 items, are you daisy chaining 4-ways? again not ideal is not best practise but electrically providing the loading and fusing it right i can't see the problem.

JonGrose94

Prominent
Jun 24, 2019
Thanks for your reply!

Basically I work for a company where we need to build multiple devices at the same time. So we have one wall socket available and a 10 bar extension. Just wanted to make sure I would risk burning the place down or tripping anything.

I'd just make sure that after all the stuff is powered up, I'd check the wall outlet, and bar' plug temperature, and I'd listen for strange noises coming from the outlet. Both of these would be indication of overload and/or bad contact.

Ralston18

Titan
And get/use a good quality extension bar - UL certified.

Do not worry about "tripping anything". That is what you want to have happen if there is some overload condition.

Continual trips will tell you that the load is too much.