[SOLVED] Multiple drive failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2020
I'm not sure what horrible sin I have committed to deserve this, but here's my story:
So about 6 months ago I built a new system:
-AMD Ryzen 2600 CPU
- Radeon RX 580 GPU
-ASROCK X370 killer MoBo
-16GB DDR4 RAM
-850W PSU
-ADATA XPG SX6000 1TB M2 SSD
Everything was going great for about 3 months or so, until it started to crash during a game and give me the occasional bsod. The crashes increased to the point that it would bsod while booting, eventually giving me a "cannot identify operating system" message after the flash screen. So I figured I just got a bad drive, oh well, everything important is backed up and the drive is still under warranty, so I sent the drive back to ADATA and they sent me a new one, which worked for about a month, until similar crashing issues began occurring. This time, I figured that ADATA must just be a bad manufacturer, as they sent me 2 bad drives in a row, so I decided to order a new SSD from a different manufacturer. The next drive I got was an Intel 660p series M2 SSD, also 1TB. This drive arrived last friday, didn't give me any issues until this morning, when I couldn't get more than 10 minutes of work in before it crashed, giving me a bsod. I have spent all day troubleshooting, each attempt resulting in an error message all while my system's condition worsened with each reboot. I have just tried to reinstall Windows nearly a half dozen times from CD and USB and every time I get a bsod during installation.

I've run every repair/diagnostic check that I can, nothing has helped and despite the evidence in front of me, I find it hard to believe that I have gotten three bad drives in a row from two different manufacturers. So what the hell is happening here?

Oh and to top all this off, I'm supposed to be teleworking right now and I have no idea how to explain all this to my boss, but that's not something you all can help me with

Solution
Is there any way I can test that?
Very hard to prove. Replacing the PSU will answer it there was the PSU that was failing. If it doesn't work after replacing the PSU, then probably the motherboard that is defective.

Or you can do the other way around, to replace the motherboard.

Or : I got to think, you've built this yourself. Maybe you've not distributed the CPU cooling paste properly? You can try to remove the CPU cooler and reapply the thermal paste just to have that checked out.
Is there any way I can test that?
Very hard to prove. Replacing the PSU will answer it there was the PSU that was failing. If it doesn't work after replacing the PSU, then probably the motherboard that is defective.

Or : I got to think, you've built this yourself. Maybe you've not distributed the CPU cooling paste properly? You can try to remove the CPU cooler and reapply the thermal paste just to have that checked out.

Solution
Mar 25, 2020

Damn I was really hoping you wouldn't say that. I don't have the spare parts to swap those components out, guess I'm sol until the computer repair shops open up again.
Don't think the thermal paste is an issue, the paste came pre-applied to the heatsink (stock) and I have a program that displays core temps and they've never gone above 50C

Mar 25, 2020

If the issue isn't the drive itself, do you think it will work fine with the faulty component replaced, or do you think that the bad mobo/psu has damaged the drive as well?

1foxracing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011

You might want to replace that memory. After clicking the link you provided and reading the reviews there are 2 reviews with Oloy themselves replying that RAM is not compatible with Ryzen systems.
You might try contacting Oloy yourself, in their response to one of they reviewers they offered to swap it out with a Ryzen compatible kit.

Reactions: helper800
Status
Not open for further replies.