Multiple Duties

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Greetings!

I am running for a character that is a diplomat (he has the full 20-point
Diplomatic Immunity) from China. However, he is also a spy for the Chinese
government, *and* an agent for a powerful Tong. I wanted to model these
both as infrequent, extremely hazardous duties (it *is* possible that they
will someday conflict). Taking them each at 6- frequency would grant 20
total points. Is there any reason not to model this character in this way?
The reason I was concerned it that the double "extremely hazardous" seems
like it may be a point crock (this is two chances a 9.3% each for -20
points, whereas a single Duty at 9- would give a 37.5% chance and only
bring -15 points). Comments?

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:26:25 -0800, "Malachias Invictus"
<capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Greetings!
>
>I am running for a character that is a diplomat (he has the full 20-point
>Diplomatic Immunity) from China. However, he is also a spy for the Chinese
>government, *and* an agent for a powerful Tong. I wanted to model these
>both as infrequent, extremely hazardous duties (it *is* possible that they
>will someday conflict). Taking them each at 6- frequency would grant 20
>total points. Is there any reason not to model this character in this way?
>The reason I was concerned it that the double "extremely hazardous" seems
>like it may be a point crock (this is two chances a 9.3% each for -20
>points, whereas a single Duty at 9- would give a 37.5% chance and only
>bring -15 points). Comments?

Being a spy for the Chinese isn't particularly dangerous when you have
diplomatic immunity.

"David Johnston" <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:26:25 -0800, "Malachias Invictus"
> <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Greetings!
>>
>>I am running for a character that is a diplomat (he has the full 20-point
>>Diplomatic Immunity) from China. However, he is also a spy for the
>>Chinese
>>government, *and* an agent for a powerful Tong. I wanted to model these
>>both as infrequent, extremely hazardous duties (it *is* possible that they
>>will someday conflict). Taking them each at 6- frequency would grant 20
>>total points. Is there any reason not to model this character in this
>>way?
>>The reason I was concerned it that the double "extremely hazardous" seems
>>like it may be a point crock (this is two chances a 9.3% each for -20
>>points, whereas a single Duty at 9- would give a 37.5% chance and only
>>bring -15 points). Comments?
>
> Being a spy for the Chinese isn't particularly dangerous when you have
> diplomatic immunity.

It will be. Essentially, he is going to be engaging in the theft of
personnel/material/R&D information from various corps. He is immune to
governmental prosecution, but the corporations will not much care if they
catch him.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Malachias Invictus <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "David Johnston" <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:26:25 -0800, "Malachias Invictus"
> > <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Greetings!
> >>
> >>I am running for a character that is a diplomat (he has the full 20-point
> >>Diplomatic Immunity) from China. However, he is also a spy for the
> >>Chinese
> >>government, *and* an agent for a powerful Tong. I wanted to model these
> >>both as infrequent, extremely hazardous duties (it *is* possible that they
> >>will someday conflict). Taking them each at 6- frequency would grant 20
> >>total points. Is there any reason not to model this character in this
> >>way?
> >>The reason I was concerned it that the double "extremely hazardous" seems
> >>like it may be a point crock (this is two chances a 9.3% each for -20
> >>points, whereas a single Duty at 9- would give a 37.5% chance and only
> >>bring -15 points). Comments?
> >
> > Being a spy for the Chinese isn't particularly dangerous when you have
> > diplomatic immunity.

> It will be. Essentially, he is going to be engaging in the theft of
> personnel/material/R&D information from various corps. He is immune to
> governmental prosecution, but the corporations will not much care if they
> catch him.

And diplomatic immunity doesn't mean much of the corporations have armed
guards, and they have a "liberal" use-of-force policy. If he gets shot
by a guard, he's been shot by a guard. He can't wave credentials and
stop the bullets. Plus, if he is caught engaging in industrial
espionage and survives, it's a virtual guarantee he'll be declared
persona non grata, and kicked out of the country. Which means he'll have
to explain himself to the Chinese diplomatic corps, the espionage
service he's working for, and his Tong.
--
If users are made to understand that the system administrator's job is to make
computers run, and not to make them happy, they can, in fact, be made happy

"Charles Herbig" <usenet1@NOSPAM.sorrydave.org> wrote in message
> Malachias Invictus <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "David Johnston" <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

>> > Being a spy for the Chinese isn't particularly dangerous when you have
>> > diplomatic immunity.
>
>> It will be. Essentially, he is going to be engaging in the theft of
>> personnel/material/R&D information from various corps. He is immune to
>> governmental prosecution, but the corporations will not much care if they
>> catch him.
>
> And diplomatic immunity doesn't mean much of the corporations have armed
> guards, and they have a "liberal" use-of-force policy.

They do. Powerful corporations can essentially field their own small armies
in this setting.

> If he gets shot by a guard, he's been shot by a guard. He can't wave
> credentials and
> stop the bullets.

Correct. If they caught him, they would "disappear" his ass.

> Plus, if he is caught engaging in industrial espionage and survives, it's
> a virtual
> guarantee he'll be declared persona non grata, and kicked out of the
> country.\

That is not necessarily true, although it is possible. The corps he would
be raiding do not want anyone to know about what they are working on, and
would likely prefer to send a "black bag" team to take care of him.

> Which means he'll have to explain himself to the Chinese diplomatic corps,
> the espionage
> service he's working for, and his Tong.

If he screws up, he is in for big trouble (perhaps even Big Trouble, if you
get my drift).

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:03:30 -0800, "Malachias Invictus"
<capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Charles Herbig" <usenet1@NOSPAM.sorrydave.org> wrote in message
>> Malachias Invictus <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "David Johnston" <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

>>> It will be. Essentially, he is going to be engaging in the theft of
>>> personnel/material/R&D information from various corps. He is immune to
>>> governmental prosecution, but the corporations will not much care if they
>>> catch him.
>>
>> And diplomatic immunity doesn't mean much of the corporations have armed
>> guards, and they have a "liberal" use-of-force policy.
>
>They do. Powerful corporations can essentially field their own small armies
>in this setting.
>
>> If he gets shot by a guard, he's been shot by a guard. He can't wave
>> credentials and
>> stop the bullets.
>
>Correct. If they caught him, they would "disappear" his ass.

So the corporations in question are criminal organisations?

In any case I'd only give him one Duty, but give him a Secret (Double
Agent)

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:03:30 -0800, "Malachias Invictus"
> <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Charles Herbig" <usenet1@NOSPAM.sorrydave.org> wrote in message

>>> And diplomatic immunity doesn't mean much of the corporations have armed
>>> guards, and they have a "liberal" use-of-force policy.
>>
>>They do. Powerful corporations can essentially field their own small
>>armies
>>in this setting.
>>
>>> If he gets shot by a guard, he's been shot by a guard. He can't wave
>>> credentials and
>>> stop the bullets.
>>
>>Correct. If they caught him, they would "disappear" his ass.
>
> So the corporations in question are criminal organisations?

More or less. Powerful megacorps have a certain amount of carte blanche
with the government, though.

> In any case I'd only give him one Duty, but give him a Secret (Double
> Agent)

That is not really a secret. His membership in the Tong is what got him his
job.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:49:24 -0800, "Malachias Invictus"
<capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> So the corporations in question are criminal organisations?
>
>More or less. Powerful megacorps have a certain amount of carte blanche
>with the government, though.
>
>> In any case I'd only give him one Duty, but give him a Secret (Double
>> Agent)
>
>That is not really a secret. His membership in the Tong is what got him his
>job.

If the Tong and the government are in such perfect harmony that a
known Tong member could hold an important diplomatic espionage
position, then the chance that the two duties could conflict is
negligible.

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:49:24 -0800, "Malachias Invictus"
> <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> So the corporations in question are criminal organisations?
>>
>>More or less. Powerful megacorps have a certain amount of carte blanche
>>with the government, though.
>>
>>> In any case I'd only give him one Duty, but give him a Secret (Double
>>> Agent)
>>
>>That is not really a secret. His membership in the Tong is what got him
>>his
>>job.
>
> If the Tong and the government are in such perfect harmony that a
> known Tong member could hold an important diplomatic espionage
> position, then the chance that the two duties could conflict is
> negligible.

It is not quite like that. The Tongs have a large amount of influence in
who gets placed in many important positions, but that does not necessarily
mean that the government and this particular Tong are in perfect accord.
There are many (sometimes conflicting) forces within the government, like
rival Tongs, various politicos, intelligence agencies, etc. The duties
likely *will* eventually conflict.

--

Malachias Invictus wrote:
> I am running for a character that is a diplomat (he has the full 20-point
> Diplomatic Immunity) from China. However, he is also a spy for the Chinese
> government, *and* an agent for a powerful Tong. I wanted to model these
> both as infrequent, extremely hazardous duties (it *is* possible that they
> will someday conflict). Taking them each at 6- frequency would grant 20
> total points. Is there any reason not to model this character in this way?
> The reason I was concerned it that the double "extremely hazardous" seems
> like it may be a point crock (this is two chances a 9.3% each for -20
> points, whereas a single Duty at 9- would give a 37.5% chance and only
> bring -15 points). Comments?

Looks to me like the possible conflicts come down to part and
parcel of your extremely hazardous duty. It's just a special effect of
how you might suffer by doing or avoiding the task at hand.
All XHD involve potential character death in one way or another,
and most have the potential for having to deal with not doing exactly as
you're told, even if told to do the impossible.

Take extremely hazardous duty 9-, and have a seperate roll giving
(3-12 = Tong and 9-18 = Govt) a check on who's asking for what.
9-12 makes for conflict, and fun character development, all at no
extra cost. 8]

You could probably throw in a secret too, being exposed as a spy
will probably get you sent home.

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.