Question Multiple errors causing games to crash - mostly relating to driver problems, but no solutions work

Oct 12, 2019
A while ago, I posted a thread related to this topic that I had believed to be resolved. The solution at the time seemed to be related to fixing Kernel 41 errors, but while those errors were fixed, it did not solve the overall problem.

I have noticed recently that in multiple games, I may crash or freeze the game (while in-game audio still plays) after 1-20 minutes. The games these errors are present in most are CSGO and Apex Legends. CSGO did not provide any error messages, only freezing the game. Apex Legends does provide error messages - specifically these three:
-0x887A0006: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG
-0x887A0005 - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED
-Couldn't create texture "(null)": error code 8007000e
The first two errors happen frequently, and I can reproduce both (though i do not know how to specifically reproduce one over the other). I cannot reproduce the third error because it happened only once under the same conditions as the first two.

It is notable that other than these errors, I also get errors that completely freeze the game, and don't let me alt-tab out of a white screen. The only ways I am able to close these freezes are by either completely restarting the computer, or by watching an opened command line in the alt-tab minimized windows and doing /taskkill for Apex and a child process.

Most of the errors that I have gotten have said to update my drivers, or roll back my drivers to a known stable point. I have done both. Keeping my drivers up to date does nothing to change the errors, and rolling my drivers back to 417.71 (which is known to be the best driver for running Apex) also does nothing.

I have done most of the solutions offered for these problems, short of getting a completely new graphics card. I have edited the registry (which did nothing, good or bad), i have completely reinstalled windows 10, and looked for errors in the event viewer that may help. I have come up with nothing, and it is quite frustrating.

specs in sig.

Well, as you may by now know, DXGI is always related to DirectX, so I'm kinda surprised you made no mention of checking to see if Dx was updated. There may also be software on your system conflicting with it. Whenever this kind of thing happens with only a game or two, it's often the redist files within the game directory that need installing or reinstalling, which often contain Dx files.

It's possible as well you have Dx or other system files corrupted, so run SFC, and make sure you restore the image file first as per the following instructions. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

I take it you've checked for malware as well? if not, try running Malwarebytes. This appears to most certainly be a software problem though, so also check to see if any possible 3rd party software you have running could be conflicting, by disabling them one at a time.

Oct 12, 2019
I have checked to see what DirectX version I have (12), and it looks like this version is compatible with my display drivers. However, i am not sure how to check if any of my software is conflicting with directx.

I have run sfc and it says that it has repaired the corrupted files it has found. I restarted afterwards.

I have also run Malwarebytes as per your suggestion, and it found two instances that i quarantined. However, i don't believe it has caused my original problem because i distinctly remember installing the software related to the malware after the original errors occurred.

After testing these changes in Apex for about 10 minutes, I received the 0x887A0005 error. Next step I believe would be to disable 3rd party software like you said. Will take a while.

Oct 12, 2019
So after going through msconfig and disabling third-party services one by one, nothing has had an effect on the crashes. I also double-checked by disabling all of the third-party services and running the game then, which did nothing.

I really hope that I will not need to get a new graphics card, because this one isn't even a year old yet.

One thing i forgot to mention that might be relevant is that sometimes my screen will black out for 1-5 seconds randomly. This happens mostly while in the browser.