Multiple Ethernet Connections Showing on Router

DeltaN9ne

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
Hello all,

I have AT&T U-Verse internet/phone/tv service and recently I went to access my router (through my browser) and I had noticed that there are 2 ethernet connections showing up as "unknown" in the device listing. There are 7 total ethernet connections 1 being my pc and 4 of them are the equipment provided by AT&T for the TV service and I'm just wondering if I should be worried about the other two as I have no clue what they go to being that my computer, the main dvr and a wireless access point for the other TV boxes are the only things connected via ethernet cables to the router.

Solution
You can use the first 4 octets of the MAC address to determine the manufacturer of the device. That can help narrow down the item. First culprit is usually some mobile device.

DeltaN9ne

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
Thanks for the help guys,
after I checked MAC address' I found they both are from the same company and after some looking into I found the connections were from two tablets we have. Would it be because they show "unknown" in the device list that they would show up as ethernet connections instead of being wireless connections?
I also made sure that the WPS setting was off (which it was by default) just in-case.