Multiple Failing PSU's

DisabledDonkey

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
So first of all i have made a discussion trying to figure out what was wrong with me PC,
Here it is http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2656693/bsod-issue-sudden-playing-games.html#15938207
But it looks like a PSU issue.
A month or so after getting new PC parts (MSI GTX 970 , I5 4690k , ASRock H97m Pro4) I starting getting the BSOD every time i would get into a game, eventually i decided to replace my
GS600 Corsair with a CX750M PSU. Once I put the new PSU in place the issue went away for a good few months.
However recently a BSOD occurred, it started happening maybe once or twice a day. It got progressively worse as more occurred, it seems like if i let my PC rest for a bunch of hours and try and game it will last longer.
I reformatted to make sure it was not a software based issue, it is not a driver issue.
It only happens while gaming.
I find it Odd that my First PSU would die after a month or so and the second PSU which reaches the requirements for my PC starts dying after a few months aswell.
Is there something i am missing, i dont want to buy or replace another PSU and find the issue returns as before, even if it does return after various months.

you may also check the wall socket to be sure its the correct voltage [long shot] but could be faulty in the house circuit undervolting or overvolting and causing a premature failure of things plugged in to it ??? [I seen this once and it was a bad wire from the room to the breaker box ]

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

If you have truly elminated all other hardware issues and have a high confidence that the power supply is the sole issue and that it continues to be the issue even after swapping out power supplies, then it may be an issue with the powerline in your house. I would have an electrician come out and conduct an inspection. Have him/her verify the amperage as well as measure/monitor for actual power loss from the breaker box to the outlet. A powerline that has too low of a power load can ruin a power supply over time. Worst case, you may have to have that powerline repaired/replaced or have your breaker box upgraded/serviced.

DisabledDonkey

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Yeah I don't really know what to do to fix this situation. When I had my old PSU I thought the GPU was the issue, I sent it back for replacement and they said it was fine, if the graphics card is causing issues how do I prove it?

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

If you believe your graphics card is the cause, simply state the issue of unstable power draw by the graphics card when writing up the RMA with MSI. The cause is most likely a bad capacitor on the card's PCB. I highly recommend that you start the RMA process as soon as possible. The sooner you submit the RMA, the quicker it will be for them to approve it, and have you send in the card for a replacement. And I would still have an electrician inspect your breaker box and powerline leading to your gaming room power outlet.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

I'm not able to download and view the file from work :( I would recommend that you test the graphics card on another system (like your friend's computer) to see if the same issues reoccur. If they do, then you know the culprit is the graphics card. If it doesn't reoccur, then the issue is most likely your powerline in your house. You already stated the issue has occurred with two different power supply units. It's all a simple process of elmination, but takes time to complete.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Quick question - are you overclocking your CPU? If so, reset it back to stock speeds and voltages and retest your GPU with CSGO. Overclocking CPUs can result in much higher power usage, which in turn can cause instability within the computer system as a whole. This is the reason why I run a 1500 Watt power supply. I NEVER want my power source to ever be an issue. My rule of thumb is that you never us a power supply that is rated at near the same as your system's maximum power usage. Always get a power supply that provides at least 20% over the maximum power usage of your system.

DisabledDonkey

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

I have not overclocked anything.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Have you done any of the following yet:

1) Tested your graphics card in another computer to see if it crashes?

2) Tested another video card in the same PC that crashes now?

3) If the answer to #1 was yes and the computer does not crash, and if the answer to question #2 was yes, then did you have your powerline tested by an electrician?