[SOLVED] Multiple game crashes + BSODs

Sep 19, 2019
Hey there!

In the last few months, I have been experiencing crashes with various games. At first, I thought it was just an issue with one or two games, but it ended up happening with more and more games (the list includes Overwatch, Warhammer Vermintide 2, Divinity Original Sin, Warframe).

In addition, various BSODs started showing up, ranging from IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION to REFERENCE_BY_POINTER and BAD_POOL_CALLER.

I have tried everything listed here (https://support.fatshark.se/hc/en-u...3--PC-How-to-resolve-Access-Violation-crashes), swapped my GPU back and forth in my PCIe slots, did a BIOS update, a clean graphics driver update (and rollback to old drivers, followed by more crashes, which led me to updating it to the current version again), ran a chkdsk not long ago and a full virus scan.
Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Dxdiag can be found here.
Today's REFERENCE_BY_POINTER from Event Viewer is uploaded here.
Is there anything else I can provide that could help? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Anne

Solution
Based on what you have said so far, I am tempted to take the simple way out of this one:

Back up your personal data, reinstall Windows, and install drivers from the Asus website.

Why? This statement: "since it was pre-installed by the previous owner and of no use to me." Over the years, there are only a few computers I have taken ownership of after someone else had them, but for the ones I did, a wipe and restore was the first thing I did. I am not going to waste a minute dealing with whatever junk a previous person put in a computer that is new to me.

I am not saying I 100% guarantee this will fix your BSOD issues, but if it helps with that too, even better!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums Anne!

Unfortunately those online guides for resolving BSOD are often ill-informed, and misleading as every stop error (BSOD) is completely different, and no single stop error has one single cause. Status Access Violations often come from third party drivers - and can often come from a driver being rejected access to a physical memory page from virtual memory.

IRQL and System Server are often driver based too.

Do you have dump files enabled? If so can you post links to the dump files here?

Sep 19, 2019
Do you have dump files enabled? If so can you post links to the dump files here?

Thanks for the quick response!

These are the two files located in my minidump folder:
one
two

EDIT: Uploaded the big "MEMORY.DMP" here.

If this is not what you are looking for, would you mind pointing me in the right direction?
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump files - and you can see the full reports here:
Dump 1: https://pste.eu/p/Gy1h.html REFERENCE_BY_POINTER
Dump 2: https://pste.eu/p/KZ12.html REFERENCE_BY_POINTER

Summary of findings:
BugCheck 18
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!ObfDereferenceObjectWithTag+1bc817 )

Bugcheck Description:
REFERENCE_BY_POINTER
"This indicates that the reference count of an object is illegal for the current state of the object. Each time a driver uses a pointer to an object, the driver calls a kernel routine to increase the reference count of the object by one. And when done, the driver calls another kernel routine to decrease the reference count by one.

Drivers must match calls the reference count. This bug check is caused by an inconsistency in the object's reference count."

About your bugcheck:
"This is typically driver based and therefore you should reference the third party modules loaded to check which ones may be misbehaving.

• Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device or driver that is causing this bug check.
  • If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.
  • Confirm that any new hardware that is installed is compatible with the installed version of Windows"

Some things to consider:
I would highly advise you to view the full report above, as this will contain much more detail as to the bugcheck and modules running at the time.
- First port of call for drivers from my point of view:
GPCIDrv64.sys10/07/2008GigabyteGigabyte Easy boost related driver

RTKVHD64.sys14/06/2017RealtekRealtek HD Audio Driver

There are a lot of potential drivers to blame so it's a case of working through the most logical (you can see them all on the loaded modules section)

We may also want to disable/uninstall Norton at some point as AV can often cause these kinds of problems and bug checks. But we'll cover other aspects first.

What is your full system spec?
i would be looking at updating any motherboard/chipset drivers from the motherboard website. (Don't use a driver updater program)
Do you have latest BIOS installed also?

Sep 19, 2019
MB: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
CPU: AMD fx.8350 (8 core)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970
RAM: HyperX 2x8GB DDR3, 933MHz
Drives: 1TB Samsung HD103SI
256GB SanDisk SDSSDA240G (contains OS)
Win 10 Pro, 64 bit

The file created by CPU-Z is uploaded here.
Am I missing anything?

If I check on the MB website, I can see that my BIOS is up-to-date.
What exactly do you mean with the chipset-part?

I downloaded and installed the latest audio driver from the asus website for my mb, as well.

However, when looking at the QVLs, I noticed that SanDisk does not show up for the SSDs.

I uninstalled the Gigabyte program, since it was pre-installed by the previous owner and of no use to me.
Nothing that looks like Gigabyte shows up in my device manager or on the list of installed programs.
Is there anything I'm missing?

Since Logitech shows up in the modules section, I also uninstalled and reinstalled the Logitech Gaming Software.

Vermintide 2 still crashes, but BSODs have always been less frequent than crashes.
Had a BSOD (ref pointer) after the BIOS update, audio driver and Logitech update.
Gigabyte uninstall happened afterwards.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately I won't be able to look in detail for a little while howvver after taking the action you have let's see where it goes and then move onto next steps if the problem persists.

Is it only one program that crashes?

Chipset drivers will also be on the motherboard website driver downloads section.

I will message a friend who may be able to help whilst I can't but can't guarantee anything as they are often busy here on the forums and otherwise :)

Based on what you have said so far, I am tempted to take the simple way out of this one:

Back up your personal data, reinstall Windows, and install drivers from the Asus website.

Why? This statement: "since it was pre-installed by the previous owner and of no use to me." Over the years, there are only a few computers I have taken ownership of after someone else had them, but for the ones I did, a wipe and restore was the first thing I did. I am not going to waste a minute dealing with whatever junk a previous person put in a computer that is new to me.

I am not saying I 100% guarantee this will fix your BSOD issues, but if it helps with that too, even better!

Solution
Sep 19, 2019

Hey Ketchup! Thanks for the reply.

If it comes to that, I don't mind reinstalling Windows.
I'll definitely give it a try if other suggestions fail.

@PC Tailor :
It's not just the one program, but happened with a number of different ones in the past. This is just another one I picked up not long ago and am having the same issues with.
No worries about not having the time, I appreciate any help I can get. I'll also be away from my PC for two days, so no rush.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its the what else have they installed question
I uninstalled the Gigabyte program, since it was pre-installed by the previous owner and of no use to me.
if i got a 2nd hand PC i would have reinstalled win 10 first day.

no newer drivers for corsair keyboard? they from 2013, before win 10 time.
Maybe newer version of logitech gaming software since 2016 - your mouse driver appears to be from 2013.

that BSOD can be caused by AV so could remove Norton and see if you still get BSOD
I assume lan driver is from Microsoft since I can't see one.

Reactions: PC Tailor