[SOLVED] Multiple games are crashing on my computer, please help.

kaheezy

Reputable
Apr 2, 2020
Hello,

Last year I built a custom rig (specs below), and have had non-stop issues with games crashing (Borderlands 3, COD, PUBG, NBA2k) or freezing to BSOD. I went as far as RMA'ing my GPU, MOBO, PSU, CPU and I am still receiving crashes either on load or after 10-15 minutes of game play. I've updated my drivers using Driver Booster 7, updated my bios using EZFlash, run DXDIAG, Video Card Stability Test, FurMark Stress Test, CrystalDiskInfo, memory test and nothing has seemed to point out whether it's a software or a hardware issue. I can provide dump files or error logs, I'm just not sure what I need to look for. Please see the specs of my machine below:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2ghz 6 core cpu
Asus STRIX B-350-F Gaming ATX AM4 motherboard
G.SKill Trident Z 2x8gb DDR4-3200 memory
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0
Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold 850W
Windows 10 64-bit

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
My guess would be memory instability as Ryzen 1st gen is very common issue.
I would set the memory to the slowest DCOP timings (probably 2133Mhz) then see if the issue is resolved. Then increase to 2933Mhz or use the Ryzen ram calculator.
you haven't mentioned reinstalling Windows. you may want to try wiping the OS drive and doing a fresh install.

also, don't trust 3rd party update software. you should always get your updates directly from the hardware manufacturer;
system drivers, chipset drivers, and software from the ASUS motherboard product support page or from ASUS motherboard control software's built-in update services.
graphics drivers directly from Nvidia.
etc.

kaheezy

Reputable
Apr 2, 2020
Hello all,

Thanks for the replies so far. I forgot to mention that I did try to uninstall windows previously and re-installed fresh a couple times already. I also went to ASUS's website to double check I had the latest versions of the drivers and they all seemed to be the right ones.

I've tried to lower the DOCP timings. I wanted to also add that I have been running all things on default settings so I'm not overclocking my GPU or anything like that. I did notice this morning that the RAM frequency was set at 2133mhz by default for some reason. I will set to 2933mhz today and test the results.

Thanks for the suggestions all, will reply with results later today.

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies so far. I forgot to mention that I did try to uninstall windows previously and re-installed fresh a couple times already. I also went to ASUS's website to double check I had the latest versions of the drivers and they all seemed to be the right ones.

I've tried to lower the DOCP timings. I wanted to also add that I have been running all things on default settings so I'm not overclocking my GPU or anything like that. I did notice this morning that the RAM frequency was set at 2133mhz by default for some reason. I will set to 2933mhz today and test the results.

Thanks for the suggestions all, will reply with results later today.
Have you used the same installation files every time. Maybe a bad file. I’d try redownloading windows 10 and trying that if it persists.

kaheezy

Reputable
Apr 2, 2020
So per Flayed's suggestion I lowered the DOCP settings and things seem to be a bit more stable. I've been able to run games without random freezes or crashes for longer than 15 minutes.

I hope that was the issue all along. Thank you all for the replies and suggestions, will let you all know if it happens again.