Question Multiple games crashing and saying my GPU was disconnecting. Could my GPU be dying?

Jun 5, 2019
I have an EVGA GTX 980 SC that has served me well for over 4 years now. I recently upgraded to a 1080 Ti that I ended up not using to its full potential, and decided to sell and to a friend and return to using my 980. After I began using it again, every now and then I would crash in some games that indicated my GPU had been disconnected, or that signal to it was lost. (This would happen in games such as Destiny 2 and TItanfall 2). This was never an issue I encountered with the card prior to my upgrade, though I'm not sure how the two events could be related other than I hadn't been using the 980 for about 2-3 months. The errors happened very infrequently, however, so I paid little attention to it. After about a month, the issue appears to have become much worse.

Specifically in GTA V, I cannot play for more than an hour without the game freezing for about a second, then completely shutting down. I've begun playing it again over the past couple of weeks after the newest update and this was never an issue. Investigating the logs appear to suggest that my GPU had been disconnected and the game crashed as a result. This only started happening yesterday and has become very frustrating, as my game is consistently crashing despite me trying to fix the issue in various ways. Solutions I've tried so far are:
  • Reseating my GPU
  • Plugging my GPU into a different PCI Express slot
  • Using a different VGA plug on my PSU (I don't have access to another cable, otherwise I would try that as well)
  • Upping the core voltage my GPU is allowed to use
  • Under-clocking my GPU (by a lot, I tried lowering by about 200 MHz and when that failed, I lowered it by 500 MHz to no avail)
I'm out of ideas, I even tried malwarebytes to see if something was messing with my hardware but came up with nothing. Does anybody have an suggestions as to what I can do? Or is my GPU just straight up dying?

If it helps, here is my full build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC
RAM: 2x8 Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750W G3

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts