[SOLVED] Multiple games crashing regularly and weekly BSODs

Dec 30, 2020
Hi all,

This is my first post, so apologies if I've done anything incorrectly, or if this is in the wrong place.

I've been having issues since about October now with games crashing and occasional BSODs. I replaced my RAM, M/board and CPU at the end of the October as they were overdue for an upgrade anyway, and the crashes seem to have gotten worse of late, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what I might have missed.

Originally it was only Guild Wars 2 that was crashing, and after sending numerous logs to ArenaNet's support site, none of their fixes have ultimately solved the problem. As of late I've been getting numerous silent crashes on Fallout: New Vegas, and my wife has been getting the same when she plays The Sims 4. Blue screens occur roughly once a week, but I didn't have dump from before December unfortunately, so I don't have the full history to hand.

Things I've tried:

• Upgrade of various older hardware components (in this case, m/board, RAM and CPU)
  • Clean install of latest card drivers
  • A clean install of windows 10 (done after replacing the m/board)
  • Ran a memory test on the new RAM, and checked my HDD for bad sectors, both came back with no issues found.

I haven't replaced either my graphics card or my PSU, but am wondering if one or both are part of the problem, as they are the only pieces of hardware (save for the HDD, which I've tested) that haven't been replaced.

I've uploaded the BSOD minidumps for the last few weeks (which is roughly once a week or so since December), as well as the text file export for msinfo32 so you can get a full picture of the hardware (and Windows version) I'm currently running.

https://we.tl/t-6Nut4fpCtP

I'm not particularly well versed in how to read system dmp files correctly, so apologies if there is something in them that was easy to spot. It looks as if there's no 1 cause of these crashes (either app or system), so was hoping that having a more full history of previous system crashes might narrow down the potential problem.

Any advice you could offer in terms of more effective troubleshooting I could attempt would be great.

Thanks

Solution
most of the time the max number of errors you want in memtest is 0.

You can try the voltage thing but if error count is higher than 0 I would rma the ram and get a new set.
I did ask a friend to convert dumps but if ram is bad there is no point looking at results. Bad ram corrupts things that run in it.
Dec 30, 2020
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

Board: Gigabyte B450M DS3H-CF (AM4)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU: Geforce GTX 1050
RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 - 1TB
SSD: SanDisk SD8SBBU240G1122
PSU: OCZ Mod X Stream Pro 600W (the modular version, if there's more than one).

Dec 30, 2020
So, turns out there was an error early on in testing with MemTest, so it looks like my RAM is buggered. :(

Can errors in RAM testing be caused by a component the RAM relies on, like the PSU or motherboard, as opposed to the RAM itself being faulty? Or is it almost certainly the RAM that's the problem at this point?

madchemist83

Distinguished
Sometimes. What test did it give error in and how many errors ? You can slightly bump voltage on your ram to see if it solves the issue. Also I would suggest testing one stick at a time in A2 slot. No need to run the whole thing just the tests that failed errors.

Colif

Win 11 Master
most of the time the max number of errors you want in memtest is 0.

You can try the voltage thing but if error count is higher than 0 I would rma the ram and get a new set.
I did ask a friend to convert dumps but if ram is bad there is no point looking at results. Bad ram corrupts things that run in it.

Reactions: madchemist83
Solution
Dec 30, 2020
Hi both,

Thanks for the replies.

So it turns out that my RAM was set to a higher clock speed than is recommended for my CPU, so I've lowered it and have had no issues with crashes, BSODs or any strange behaviour since.

I'll do another substantial test on each module probably at the start of the weekend, or maybe tomorrow evening after work since making the change, and then let you both know how I got on.

If it still errors out after that then I'll look into RMA'ing. Hopefully Corsair will be okay to replace them.