Question Multiple games have black pixelated areas that spread across and cover the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

axelvwatkins

Commendable
Dec 4, 2019
So, i've had my PC for like 2.5 years and it's basically done this as long as i've known, but only on certain games and it never ended up bothering me much until now when i started to try to play RDR2.
Most of the time when it happens, it's not game breaking, and small areas of the screen turn black and pixelated and spread across the screen, and turning away in the game usually fixes it. Also, there are just flashes of random colours.
Until, today it became absolutely unplayable as the RDR2 clip shows, the black spreads all over the screen and i can't see anything, no matter where i run or turn.
The games i can recall it happening on are;
COD Warzone, Modern Warfare & Vanguard
RDR2
Genshin
Rust

The fact that it's across multiple games and they are all more demanding than the ones i don't have the issue on, leads me to believe that it's something to do with the graphics card? Although honestly i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Specs:
RTX 2060
Ryzen 5 3600 6 core
16gb ram
micro-star international b450m pro vdh max
550w something or the other power supply
Monitor: 144hz Acer KG251Q

RDR2 Extreme Example

Lutfij

Titan
This is where you state the make and model of the PSU.

Might want to see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates, while you might want to try and reinstall your GPU drivers. For the latter, you're advised to use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then manually reinstall said driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

axelvwatkins

Commendable
Dec 4, 2019
This is where you state the make and model of the PSU.

Might want to see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates, while you might want to try and reinstall your GPU drivers. For the latter, you're advised to use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then manually reinstall said driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
Thank you for the reply.
Just tried both things and unfortunately nothing changed.

Ditto on everything Lutfij said, plus list the speed of your RAM, which matters with Ryzen CPUs because their Infinity Fabric core connectors are tied to RAM speed. It's best to have at least 3200 speed RAM to make use of the CPU's full potential. Please list the case you're using as well.

You also didn't mention ambient room temp or whether you've done any benchmarking of CPU and GPU temps and usage. You can use a free tool called MSI Afterburner with it set to show such stats onscreen while playing via it's monitoring tab. The site you download it from explains how to do this.

I use DDU as well to uninstall GPU drivers, before installing new ones or reinstalling, but make sure you use it in safe mode as recommended. Bad GPU driver installs can sometimes cause such problems, but I also cringe when people describe a PSU as something or other, which could mean it's one of suspect quality.

axelvwatkins

Commendable
Dec 4, 2019
Ditto on everything Lutfij said, plus list the speed of your RAM, which matters with Ryzen CPUs because their Infinity Fabric core connectors are tied to RAM speed. It's best to have at least 3200 speed RAM to make use of the CPU's full potential. Please list the case you're using as well.

You also didn't mention ambient room temp or whether you've done any benchmarking of CPU and GPU temps and usage. You can use a free tool called MSI Afterburner with it set to show such stats onscreen while playing via it's monitoring tab. The site you download it from explains how to do this.

I use DDU as well to uninstall GPU drivers, before installing new ones or reinstalling, but make sure you use it in safe mode as recommended. Bad GPU driver installs can sometimes cause such problems, but I also cringe when people describe a PSU as something or other, which could mean it's one of suspect quality.
Wow i've gained absolutely nothing from any of this except a passive aggressive attack for not providing enough information. Why do you expect a casual PC user to know all of this? You expect me to know that i'm supposed to list my ROOM temperature, you expect me to know i'm supposed to download some software and check the gpu and cpu temperature, you expect me to list the speed of my ram (which i don't even know what that means), and you expect me to understand the exact name of my power supply. Maybe i've come here to learn about what i should do, or what information i need to provide? Perhaps? I Don't think it's remotely necessary to treat me like an idiot for your own satisfaction and proving your superiority. And the fact that i'm not well versed enough to know my PSU name, means it's of suspect quality? What does my knowledge of the name have to do with it's quality?

You have added absolutely nothing to this thread, jumped on the helpful moderator's message, provided no further comment to my post saying that his methods haven't fixed anything, repeat what i've just said hasn't fixed anything, tell me more things i'm in the wrong for not providing, and then call me cringe for not being at your oh so high level of understanding.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Wow i've gained absolutely nothing from any of this except a passive aggressive attack for not providing enough information. Why do you expect a casual PC user to know all of this? You expect me to know that i'm supposed to list my ROOM temperature, you expect me to know i'm supposed to download some software and check the gpu and cpu temperature, you expect me to list the speed of my ram (which i don't even know what that means), and you expect me to understand the exact name of my power supply. Maybe i've come here to learn about what i should do, or what information i need to provide? Perhaps? I Don't think it's remotely necessary to treat me like an idiot for your own satisfaction and proving your superiority. And the fact that i'm not well versed enough to know my PSU name, means it's of suspect quality? What does my knowledge of the name have to do with it's quality?

You have added absolutely nothing to this thread, jumped on the helpful moderator's message, provided no further comment to my post saying that his methods haven't fixed anything, repeat what i've just said hasn't fixed anything, tell me more things i'm in the wrong for not providing, and then call me cringe for not being at your oh so high level of understanding.

I wouldn't take it personally. There are always going to be elitists on forums, especially when it comes to computer forums.
Anyway, if the clean driver installation didn't resolve the issue, it does seem like either the psu or the gpu is failing. When and where did you buy the gpu? I think Microcenter can actually test the gpu for you if you bring it in.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
There's nothing "elitist" or "passive aggressive" about what I said. Those are all common factors that can affect PC temps and performance. It's not going to help when you place blame toward those whom are merely trying to help, you're reading WAY more in my post than what is there.

It's like this, most of us whom are experienced with PCs and PC gaming actually do fully understand that many asking questions about performance issues know very little about PCs or even PC gaming sometimes. Which is why there's typically a stickied thread explaining how to ask such questions. Such guide threads always suggest listing full spec, so don't assume we're being hostile for merely pointing out you haven't, because it's all too common, despite the aforementioned guide thread on asking for help.

I'm not one to perpetuate a user's problems with antagonizing remarks, for some reason you just took it that way. So I will bow out and let others contribute, because clearly you are not reading intentions well, and I don't care to get caught up in that mindset when I bore zero hostility toward you. What I don't get at all is Lutfij asked for brand and model of PSU, and even suggested checking for BIOS updates, which is more complex than what I suggested, yet you put all your insulting labels and blame on me.

It's pretty common anyone venturing into something as complex as Red Dead Redemption 2 PC, which is one of the more resource hungry games with lots of complex graphics settings, has also done a bit of research on decent PC gaming components and how to troubleshoot performance problems. That plus gaming for two and a half years on other modern PC games as well, without saying literally ANYTHING about your level of PC knowledge, is pretty misleading in itself. Two and a half years is easily more than enough time to learn the basics about gaming hardware, so you really should have said you know little about it instead of being combative about such common suggestions.

Last edited:
Overheating can cause display issues like this, as can a failing video card (the memory on it usually), which also can come from overheating. Bad power supply can cause issues with stability (which is why you need to list the brand and model of it). Check system temps while playing games, HWMonitor program is good for that. If this is a pre-built and it has been doing it since you have had it, the first thing to do is to contact the vendor so it can be fixed under warranty if it is still covered. Having an issue and waiting to fix it can mean you end up paying for any parts that need replacing.

To rule out issues with the parts need to test the components, starting with the video card. Test it in another system, test another card in yours to see if the card is at fault.

axelvwatkins

Commendable
Dec 4, 2019
There's nothing "elitist" or "passive aggressive" about what I said. Those are all common factors that can affect PC temps and performance. It's not going to help when you place blame toward those whom are merely trying to help, you're reading WAY more in my post than what is there.

It's like this, most of us whom are experienced with PCs and PC gaming actually do fully understand that many asking questions about performance issues know very little about PCs or even PC gaming sometimes. Which is why there's typically a stickied thread explaining how to ask such questions. Such guide threads always suggest listing full spec, so don't assume we're being hostile for merely pointing out you haven't, because it's all too common, despite the aforementioned guide thread on asking for help.

I'm not one to perpetuate a user's problems with antagonizing remarks, for some reason you just took it that way. So I will bow out and let others contribute, because clearly you are not reading intentions well, and I don't care to get caught up in that mindset when I bore zero hostility toward you. What I don't get at all is Lutfij asked for brand and model of PSU, and even suggested checking for BIOS updates, which is more complex than what I suggested, yet you put all your insulting labels and blame on me.

It's pretty common anyone venturing into something as complex as Red Dead Redemption 2 PC, which is one of the more resource hungry games with lots of complex graphics settings, has also done a bit of research on decent PC gaming components and how to troubleshoot performance problems. That plus gaming for two and a half years on other modern PC games as well, without saying literally ANYTHING about your level of PC knowledge, is pretty misleading in itself. Two and a half years is easily more than enough time to learn the basics about gaming hardware, so you really should have said you know little about it instead of being combative about such common suggestions.
Totally understand and apologize, possibly read into it slightly too much, was just fed up with a long term issue and some sly remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.