Question Multiple Games Having Low FPS Unless I switch back and forth between video settings

Nov 6, 2022
Hey Everyone,

I am at my wits end. Several games are having an issue where I am experiencing huge FPS and performance drops unless I manually change in-game resolution, monitor, full-screen/windowed mode, etc. Even after doing that, the problem seems to come back after any loading screen, or sometimes just randomly, (Fast travel in New World, going into combat in Mount & Blade 2, loading into mission in Phasmophobia, etc.) and I have to repeat the process again. When monitoring the GPU usage in AMD Software, my utilization tanks randomly.

To start, here is my current setup:

Mobo: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI (MS-7C94)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
GPU: AMD RX 5700-XT
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 1-TB
RAM: 4x Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 8GB DDR4 @3600MHz
Monitor: (Primary Gaming) Acer Predator XB273U

Here are some fixes I have tried:
Windows 10 is up to date
AMD Drivers are up to date
Closed ALL background processes while gaming
Power Plan on Windows and GPU is set to performance
Disabled and Re-enabled V-Sync across all games
Low settings on all games
XMP Profile has been enabled and tuned
No overclock
Monitored temps and GPU/ CPU Utilization. (CPU always hovered around 20%, GPU tanks randomly)
Tweaked settings on AMD Software and in-game to no end from advice on found on here/ windows fixes.

This has been a problem across several games, and in some the first time fixes it for the rest of the session. Some games (Modern Warfare 2 (2022) in particular) never have this problem. I am able to get a consistent 100+ FPS on Ultra, junction and current temps for both CPU and GPU never going above 90 C after hours of gaming.

I am unable to get a clean userbenchmark because it suffers from the same thing these games are suffering from.

Please let me know where I should start, and any info you need to help.

All the best,

JiggleMeTimbers