Multiple Graphics Cards

Apr 6, 2018
If I have an integrated AMD graphics card and I buy a Geforce 1050 TI will I be able to set my computer to only use the Geforce card?

Solution
Yes. All you need to do is connect the display to the GTX 1050 Ti's output. If nothing is connected to the motherboard's graphic outputs, it will not be used.

-Wolf sends

will be same as your advice, upon reboot -> connect cable to GPU :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Clear the CMOS? The 'default' state of the vast majority of BIOS' will have the iGPU enabled or "auto" by default

Wolfshadw

Titan

But you set it to disabled in BIOS? Why would it work? Isn't it still disabled?

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan

Yes, this typically works, but then you have to go back and remake any changes you had previously made. I just don't see any reason to disable onboard graphics.

-Wolf sends

If you are saying reverting back to IGPU, then yes, no point to disable the IGPU. I think OP wants to make sure IGPU is not being used, this should be a clear message IGPU is disabled. Anyway, I agree the cable should tell this already :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Oh I wasn't agreeing with the suggestion to disable the iGPU, just answering the question you posed.

Most boards default to "auto" anyway OP, so with a GPU populated (and connected to a display), that's what'll be used.
IF the GPU is removed (or not detected), you should be able to connect to the onboard output without issue.