Question Multiple GTX970 turns off after few seconds

Sep 27, 2021
Hello everyone!

2 weeks ago i decided to build cheap PC (my previous one I could sell for a good price)

So I bought brand new CPU+mobo, disk. Used RAM, PSU and GPU.

Spec:
CPU: i3-10100F
Mobo: MSI H410M-Pro
Ram: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Disk: 512GB M.2 Kingston
GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX970
PSU: XFX TS550

I put everything together, and it worked. I installed Windows, everything was all right. I left PC for running for a day to download all apps and games, then installed everything. Then during game loading (not even in-game properly) screen went black.

I tried to restart PC. No signal from GPU. After trying to reseat RAM, test RAM, repeat GPU, connectors, clearing CMOS, I noticed that GPU sometimes boots, shows logo for a few seconds and then shutdowns (no signal, even in BIOS, so it's not drivers releated). Sometimes it boots, sometimes not (Error LED on mobo)

I thought that someone sold me broken GPU, so I decided to refund it, and got my money back.

I found another GTX970 (also Asus Strix OC). I bought it, and it worked. So I was sure it was faulty GPU, not anything else (like PSU).

After a week of gaming, using Photoshop etc, everything was ok. Then one day, when I was in game, again, black screen. Exactly the same situation. PC won't boot (GPU Error LED on mobo) or it goes to no signal after few seconds (sometimes 5, sometimes 15).

I tried all things I did previously. After 10-15 restarts, GPU went alive. And worked for almost another week in gaming etc. Without any problem. No artifacts. Nothing. Then yesterday the same situation. And now nothing helped.

Can it be my PSU cooking GPUs? Or what can I do to test it? Any idea on how to make that GPU alive?

Syed_Yasir

Honorable
Sep 17, 2015
First off, find the cause of the crash.
download GPU-Z and go to the sensors tab, then click on log file and save it somewhere.
Run a Heaven benchmark test and check if your GPU crashes while it runs.

Sep 27, 2021
I can't run anything, because I can't do anything before it will crash. I can get to system sometimes, but then I have only few seconds. The same happens in BIOS - I'm not even able to save changes before it crashes.

TRENDING THREADS