Question Multiple inputs on the same monitor?

Jan 6, 2020
Hello,

Not really sure where to post this because I can't really figure what could be the culprit, or if it's even an issue at all, as I'm not sure it's even supposed to work.

I have 2 PC, one that has 3 monitors attached to it (PC A) and one that has none (PC B). For PC B, I tried to hock it up to one of the 3 monitors attached to PC A (since all of the monitors have multiple cable entries (Display port, HDMI, VGA, not sure how they're called).

I tried to do that via VGA since that's the only cable the onboard motherboard has. My reasoning was that in the rare occasion I would need a monitor for PC B, i would just switch the monitor input via the OSD.

The problem is that whenever I try to do that, It says that it has no signal. I tried this on all the of the 3 displays, so I'm sure it's not a problem with the monitors).

If I reboot PC B and keep PC A turned off, the monitor that hooked up will work. (just not at the same time with another active input)
Is it supposed to work in the way I'm trying? Or is there a one input per PC rule that I didn't know about?

Couldn't really find anything on the internet about this so I'm thinking that maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Both of the OSs of the PCs are Windows 10

Thank you for any help!

Jan 6, 2020
Hello

Can you please check if your monitor has a SOURCE switch/button as explained here that lets you choose your input source?

You can also try the suggestion given here.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Yeah, all the displays have the switch in the OSD (on screen display). That's how i've been trying to change from one cable to the other.
When I change from HDMI to VGA, it says "no signal". If I reboot the PC, it will have an image.

Yeah, all the displays have the switch in the OSD (on screen display). That's how i've been trying to change from one cable to the other.
When I change from HDMI to VGA, it says "no signal". If I reboot the PC, it will have an image.
Hello again

Can you please check and confirm what happens when you swap the cables? Does PC A behaves the same way PC B is doing now in that case? If so, there could be some priority or precedence that is involved in the scenario.

Cheers!!