[SOLVED] Multiple Inputs/Outputs switch

May 27, 2020
Hello, great community of Tom's Hardware

I am trying to find a (mostly hardware) solution that would allow me to have the following working conditions:

• one laptop and one desktop as inputs
  • 3 external monitors as outputs

What i am looking for, is a way to quickly switch the input source, while correctly displaying on the 3 output displays, according to the new source (extended displays).

Human version of problem: using a work laptop and a personal desktop pc, while having a neat 3 display setup already and would like to switch from home-office type of input to personal entertainment/gaming type of input with ease at the end of the day.

Please provide any relevant ways of achieving this (switches, cables, equipment required), if possible using the least amount of cables and as much as possible hdmi or newer technology.

Thank you all and i hope to have some enthusiastic replies of nice ways to set this up.

Cheers,

Solution
For the laptop i only use 2 of the 3 externals, you are right, via the docking station.

First question, in this case would be if there is a device, or set of devices that would make it easier to route and switch 2 sets of inputs (6 total), to predefined 3 outputs.
Does my question make sense? Do note i am no expert in this.
There are matrix video switchers. They are usually expensive. They also require a standard type input (HDMI, VDI, etc) from all sources.
You could get 3 two input switches. Some PCs don't like having their displays switched off. They treat it like you unplugged a monitor. There is no simple and cheap option for 3 monitors.
There are devices like this --...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, great community of Tom's Hardware

I am trying to find a (mostly hardware) solution that would allow me to have the following working conditions:

• one laptop and one desktop as inputs
  • 3 external monitors as outputs
What i am looking for, is a way to quickly switch the input source, while correctly displaying on the 3 output displays, according to the new source (extended displays).

Human version of problem: using a work laptop and a personal desktop pc, while having a neat 3 display setup already and would like to switch from home-office type of input to personal entertainment/gaming type of input with ease at the end of the day.

Please provide any relevant ways of achieving this (switches, cables, equipment required), if possible using the least amount of cables and as much as possible hdmi or newer technology.

Thank you all and i hope to have some enthusiastic replies of nice ways to set this up.

Cheers,
Do the desktop and laptop have the same 3 connector types? Few laptops have 3 external display connectors.

May 27, 2020
For the laptop i only use 2 of the 3 externals, you are right, via the docking station.

First question, in this case would be if there is a device, or set of devices that would make it easier to route and switch 2 sets of inputs (6 total), to predefined 3 outputs.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan

There are matrix video switchers. They are usually expensive. They also require a standard type input (HDMI, VDI, etc) from all sources.
You could get 3 two input switches. Some PCs don't like having their displays switched off. They treat it like you unplugged a monitor. There is no simple and cheap option for 3 monitors.
There are devices like this -- https://www.amazon.com/CKLau-Switch-Monitor-Microphone-Support/dp/B082215HFF
Again not cheap...

You can see other options with a google of "3 monitor kvm" ...

Solution
May 27, 2020
There are devices like this -- https://www.amazon.com/CKLau-Switch-Monitor-Microphone-Support/dp/B082215HFF
Again not cheap...

You can see other options with a google of "3 monitor kvm" ...

Thank you kanewolf, 200 USD would not be expensive, 300 USD is possibly expensive. Thank you for the option to investigate further.
Would you be aware of any such devices that would also allow casting from other devices? even if we increase the price range to say 500 USD tops?

Thand you again for the option and direction answered ;)

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you kanewolf, 200 USD would not be expensive, 300 USD is possibly expensive. Thank you for the option to investigate further.
Would you be aware of any such devices that would also allow casting from other devices? even if we increase the price range to say 500 USD tops?

Thand you again for the option and direction answered ;)
I don't know of anything that has a casting capability. My guess is that you would use one of the normal hosts to be the receiver of the network cast display.