Question Multiple Inputs Routed Through Monitor

tolienbosheit

Prominent
Feb 17, 2021
Hey y'all, I just picked up a Dell S3220DGF Monitor for my desktop and an Kinvio HDMI 5-input switcher. Looking to run a Playstation and Switch on the desktop as well occasionally and to route my audio output from all three devices to a single output. I was attempting to use the headphone jack on the monitor to output audio, but that doesn't seem to be working (even after routing computer audio to the HDMI output, though it is connected via the Graphic Cards and not the mobo port).

Monitor: Dell 32 Curved Gaming Monitor - S3220DGF
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2 GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Thoughts, suggestions, solutions? I'm wiring all this on an Uplift desk, so I can mount additional parts if needed but trying to stay minimalistic.

EDIT: Consoles are not set up or tested, trying to get computer audio and a game plan set before adding in consoles.

Cheers!
~A

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
So to clarify, your game consoles route audio just fine, but not the PC?
If so, do a few things.

Plug the PC directly into the monitor, without the HDMI switcher.
See if it works.
If it does, then it's the fault of the HDMI switcher.
If it doesn't, then do the following:

Use DDU and uninstall graphics drivers, then install them fresh.
Next, make sure you have NVIDIA HDMI audio devices available in sound settings of windows.
If so, but choosing any of them as your default desktop audio doesn't work, right click the desktop, go to nvidia control panel, on the left go to "set up digital audio" and confirm that it recognizes that it's plugged into a monitor of some kind (that it recognizes some kind of display device that it is connected to)
Then, you'll most likely click on the button to open windows sound settings and try to configure things, make sure you have the nvidia sound options for HDMI, and that they are enabled, and even go into their properties and see if something needs to be enabled.

In the event that it works by plugging directly in, but not into the HDMI switcher, then you might need to just have the PC plugged into one port, and the switcher into the other port (assuming that console audio works fine)

Also, double check the OSD menu of the monitor and see if there is options for audio and perhaps has an option to enable or disable it. Maybe you need to configure audio in the monitor settings (not sure though, so just check)

tolienbosheit

Prominent
Feb 17, 2021
Okay, that seemed to get the audio working via HDMI, however I am now left with a very low output volume coming from the PC and can't seem to find a way to boost it - ideally just want to turn up the output gain. Everything I can find (properties/volume control/app control) is at 100%....

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Okay, that seemed to get the audio working via HDMI, however I am now left with a very low output volume coming from the PC and can't seem to find a way to boost it - ideally just want to turn up the output gain. Everything I can find (properties/volume control/app control) is at 100%....
check the monitor for any volume controls.
If the monitor has no volume controls, it's probably one of those types that is just pass through, and meant for you to plug in speakers that have their own volume control.

If you don't have volume controls on the monitor, then you should use VoiceMeeter.
It will allow you to make your system audio the VB Audio source as an input to VoiceMeeter, then in Voice meeter, output that audio to the HDMI source. It will have gain options to boost the audio.

Your system audio will be the VB Audio option that says Virtual Input in the picture of the program on the website, then on the output section you select the HDMI audio from the drop down menu and boost audio there.

tolienbosheit

Prominent
Feb 17, 2021
check the monitor for any volume controls.
If the monitor has no volume controls, it's probably one of those types that is just pass through, and meant for you to plug in speakers that have their own volume control.
I have already maxed out the monitor settings to max volume but (as far as I can tell) there are no onboard speakers on the monitor to begin with, so this just seems like an output control option. Either way, maxed it.

If you don't have volume controls on the monitor, then you should use VoiceMeeter.
It will allow you to make your system audio the VB Audio source as an input to VoiceMeeter, then in Voice meeter, output that audio to the HDMI source. It will have gain options to boost the audio.

Your system audio will be the VB Audio option that says Virtual Input in the picture of the program on the website, then on the output section you select the HDMI audio from the drop down menu and boost audio there.

So, I still went ahead and set this up today. While it will digitally amplify the output, it isn't as much as I would like. It is still significantly quieter than the direct line from the PC and over the Bluetooth connect from the phone. My inclination at this point is the issue is likely the MOBO output has a small amplifier on the chip for the output and routing through the GPU&Monitor bypasses this. My next thought is to look into a hardware solution as I've maxed the gain on VoiceMeeter (both virtual input and hardware output) and am clipping the output signal (though not audibly).

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I have already maxed out the monitor settings to max volume but (as far as I can tell) there are no onboard speakers on the monitor to begin with, so this just seems like an output control option. Either way, maxed it.

So, I still went ahead and set this up today. While it will digitally amplify the output, it isn't as much as I would like. It is still significantly quieter than the direct line from the PC and over the Bluetooth connect from the phone. My inclination at this point is the issue is likely the MOBO output has a small amplifier on the chip for the output and routing through the GPU&Monitor bypasses this. My next thought is to look into a hardware solution as I've maxed the gain on VoiceMeeter (both virtual input and hardware output) and am clipping the output signal (though not audibly).
dang. any reason you don't want to use front panel or something on the PC?
if it's because your PC is on the floor and a bit too far away, you could always look into just an AUX cable extension, and plug it into the back of the PC, then route that up from behind the desk and monitor, and secure the other end somewhere there so you can plug and unplug from it easily. those cables can be had cheap on Amazon

tolienbosheit

Prominent
Feb 17, 2021
dang. any reason you don't want to use front panel or something on the PC?

Honestly I’m using the PC to prep/experiment with audio output for a multisystem setup at the desk (Playststion, Switch, Computer). Was hoping to get away cheaply, but that seems unlikely at this point.

Computer rides on the standing desk, so cabling isn’t an issue.

TRENDING THREADS