Multiple Internet Connections to form FAT pipe Wireless Net

vivlav144

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
From the forum topic you probably know what I want to do.

I want to take 2 or 3 dls/cable connections put them to 1 (or more if needed) routers and have enough of a pipe to be able to have 5-10 connections with a very high speed that would be roughly comparable to a single connection.

Basically, if I go with comcast lets say (though I do not use them now), I would like to buy 2 lines...put them to 1 router....set up some WAP's and have a few people in my condo's connect through this system. We want to share storage over a LAN up to about 3tb's right now to maximize downloading capabilities and gaming, etc.

What I need to know is....

1) if I am an idiot for trying to do it this way
2) what router is recommended
3) connection ideas

Any comments would be highly appreciated.

Thank yo.

shamoo

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
expensive expensive expensive

save your time just get comcast it would be very hard to share the way you want. plus comcast wont diliver more then 1 line to your house and your limited by the loops speed..

also if you have dsl get rid of it stop making the phone companys pockets fatter
get cable its faster.

and the router for the loadsharing you want to do costs a lot.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
....set up some WAP's and have a few people in my condo's connect through this system. We want to share storage over a LAN up to about 3tb's right now to maximize downloading capabilities and gaming, etc.

1) if I am an idiot for trying to do it this way
2) what router is recommended
3) connection ideas

1) not an idiot, but the quoted bit is a little confusing to me.
2) See the router guide on Tom's...
3) Ideas: If I am interpreting what you want right. You have several people that live in the same condo/building. You want to set up a common LAN to share storage. You want to access the internet from this LAN with a speedy connection.

If you are trying to add internet bandwidth to speed up the 'shared storage' you are misunderstanding how the LAN works. The shared storage speed (speed to transfer files to one of your neighbors) will be limited by the wireless LAN speed. for 802.11g this is 54 Mbit optimally, actually less. No need for a fast internet connection for this speed. If you are trying t back up you files to the other side of the world it may help to have a speedy internet connection.

As for the internet connection; A dual WAN port router will do fine to double up on connections. Load balancing will work best/benefit most when there are multiple users.

grindbox

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I have been trying to do the same thing but with 2 wireless connections plus my comcast connect. Looks like this is not an easy task. Looks like a linux operating system is need and a bunch of stuff I dont understand. I have however come across a company that makes cheap servers to this. workman-engineering dot com. sorry I couldnt help more.