[SOLVED] multiple issues after going from rtx 2080 to 3080

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
specs:
gpu: zotac rtx 3080 10gb (used for $570 on ebay. from this offer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2849739625...LoSF5VlQDK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY)
cpu: i9 9900k
ram: 16gb ddr4@2900mhz with xmp (anything higher with xmp causes a bsod. xmp only sets it to 2666mhz when set to "auto")
ssd: wd green
psu: unsure but it's 750w
note: ibuypower prebuilt i didnt have a choice with in 2019. came with an rtx 2080 and xmp apparently not enabled

gpu and cpu utilisation are very low according to task manager, both about 10%-15%. doom eternal (1440p dlss quality, highest settings with rtx) runs from about 90fps-150fps in the first big fight of the super gore nest level, which is an improvement over my 2080 (70?-120fps), but benchmarks online show around 144-250fps in this part. control (1440p dlss and max settings with max rtx) runs the same as before at 50-60fps with initial heavy stuttering. resident evil 2 remake (dx11 version; 1440p max settings) runs a bit worse than the 2080, even dropping into the 50's once. videos for this one show it never going below 90 and normally being well above 100. quake 2 rtx 1440p dlss quality, max settings) was 76-87fps with the demo from typing "demo -demo1" in the console, which also seems to be underperformance, if less severe than the others

sometimes (trying to boot re2 once; while downloading the 3dmark steam demo) the whole pc just shuts off. this gpu's fan is also very loud, but that seems to be normal for other owners of it

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
well, i may have actually found the problem. the psu is a channel well 650w 80plus gold, and i think you need at least 700w for a pc with a 3080. not sure if that should be hindering performance, but maybe the gpu driver reinstall should wait until i get something better

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
thanks for the recommendations. before i order one, though, i have to see if i can send back the new 1000w one i already got a few days ago, since newegg shipped it with a chinese plug for some reason. this is what made me try my current one thinking it was 750. ibuypower email support said this one wasnt enough, but google search told me otherwise. seemed worth a shot

could an insufficent gpu be causing gimped performance and low gpu/cpu utilisation like this though? id like to know whether or not that could be a separate issue in advance

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, if the GPU is used, you might double check that the GPU vBIOS is un-modified, or grab the latest vBIOS and put it on there. If it was used for mining it may have been tweaked for maximum power efficiency instead of maximum boost performance. Do the boost clocks and power limits look normal compared to stock?

Channel Well is the OEM that is usually behind Thermaltake PSU models, only their highest end models get good reviews. ToughPower Grand series. Channel Well also makes a lot of the lower end Corsair PSUs (I think, been a while since I have looked into that, certainly was true a few years ago) They did Dell as well, but they have mostly switched to Great Wall, which isn't that bad these days.

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
okay, so:
-i installed the corsair rm 850x
-games still ran worse at first. the vbios didnt seem tampered with but it was outdated
-flashed it with the latest version and rebooted
-games ran better, but doom eternal, with like-for-like settings, is still about 40fps worse than this benchmark with a worse cpu but better ram (mine only seems to go to 2667mhz):
View: https://youtu.be/Mnwo8mLJBks

-the whole pc shut off again while in the graphics settings for borderlands 3 (egs version)

edit: i was able to run the bl3 benchmark, but there was stuttering throughout. right as it finished, my pc shut off again

edit 2: using two pci-e cables instead of one to fill the slots on the gpu seems to've fixed the shutdown issue, but hasn't affected performance much if at all. could my i9 9900k just be causing a bottleneck? it seems worse in some games than others, with the higher the frame rate the lower under spec it performs. maybe a ram bottleneck since i can't seem to get my ram speed past 2900mhz?

edit 3: it shut off again a few seconds after finishing the time spy demo

edit 4 (hopefully this the last lol, i'll move these edits into my next post once someone else bumps the thread if i have to keep making these): i apparently flashed the wrong vbios: missed the "oc" at the end of my specific zotac model. frame rate is now up another notch (https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/80187961?), but still below the 17.000 score median given on the site. maybe my ram speed is still limiting things

Last edited:
could my i9 9900k just be causing a bottleneck?
Unlikely to be your issue unless the 9900K throttling. What motherboard and CPU cooler do you have? Do you know what your CPU and GPU temps are?

maybe a ram bottleneck since i can't seem to get my ram speed past 2900mhz?
What exact RAM do you have?

its still shutting down randomly. im so lost
When your PC shut's down does it BSOD or does it just cut out? It sounds like it's shutting down even under light non 3D loads?

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
Unlikely to be your issue unless the 9900K throttling. What motherboard and CPU cooler do you have? Do you know what your CPU and GPU temps are?
motherboard is an asrock z390 phantom gaming 4-ib (the ib meaning its some kind of ibuypower version, cant find any info on if it makes a difference). the cooler is a liquid one that just has the ibuypower logo on it, made by a company called apaltek according to customer support under a reddit post i saw asking about it. as for temps, i dont know of a good way to measure those, any recommendations?

What exact RAM do you have?
cpu-z displays this:
unknown.png

When your PC shut's down does it BSOD or does it just cut out? It sounds like it's shutting down even under light non 3D loads?

no bsod, just completely and instantly powers off with a hollow click like when it shuts down otherwise. it seems to be completely random now, for instance while i was closing things in task manager. im waiting to see if disabling xmp keeps it from happening again

also, the shadow of the tomb raider benchmark only reported this when i'm seeing things like 148fps average for my gpu and resolution online. something is extremely wrong and the performance loss clearly varies a tonne by game
2022-10-01_13_25_23-Greenshot.png

Last edited:
cpu-z displays this:
According to that your RAM only supports 2666Mhz not 2900Mhz, I wouldn't push your RAM beyond it's rated specification. If you want faster then I would get a new RAM kit, also your likely to run into stability problems if your pushing 2900Mhz at 1.2v. You might want to try Memtest64 or something like that.

no bsod, just completely and instantly powers off with a hollow click
Could be PSU, motherboard or RAM in my mind. Power cut outs have been a problem with some PSU's and the 3080 due to transient spikes, however the Corsair RM850x is a good PSU. Did you have any of these stability issues before you upgraded to the 3080?

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
id very, very rarely get power-offs like this before upgrading, always while running a select few games (dont remember any) but itd quickly go away

as for the ram, should 2667mhz be causing this kind of performance loss like that huge loss in tomb raider? id rather be certain before dropping +$100 on new sticks

id very, very rarely get power-offs like this before upgrading, always while running a select few games (dont remember any) but itd quickly go away
Barring power cut's, you shouldn't have any, which does suggest an underlying issue. If it was only on specific games and everything else was fine that would to me suggest a power related issue but you have changed the PSU since then. Can I ask if your CPU is overclocked at all?

as for the ram, should 2667mhz be causing this kind of performance loss like that huge loss in tomb raider? id rather be certain before dropping +$100 on new sticks
Not in my experience no. Your CPU render times don't look right at all, run a multithreaded benchmark and see on task manager what clock frequency your 9900K is running at. Also where do you have your RAM installed, is it slots 2 and 4?

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
Barring power cut's, you shouldn't have any, which does suggest an underlying issue. If it was only on specific games and everything else was fine that would to me suggest a power related issue but you have changed the PSU since then. Can I ask if your CPU is overclocked at all?
i dont remember overclocking it and it doesnt look like it
unknown.png

Not in my experience no. Your CPU render times don't look right at all, run a multithreaded benchmark and see on task manager what clock frequency your 9900K is running at. Also where do you have your RAM installed, is it slots 2 and 4?
i dont know what a multithreaded benchmark means, do you have any examples of one i could run for free? and yeah, slots 2 and 4

As for checking temps, you should be able to use hwmonitor.
here it is running Control, seems to be overheating
unknown.png

unknown.png

i dont remember overclocking it and it doesnt look like it
unknown.png

i dont know what a multithreaded benchmark means, do you have any examples of one i could run for free? and yeah, slots 2 and 4

here it is running Control, seems to be overheating
unknown.png

unknown.png
A multithreaded benchmark is just a benchmark that will use all your available CPU cores. Though you've just found your problem, that's why it's cutting out and why your performance is tanking. You don't have a 120mm AIO liquid cooler by any chance? Either way it's wholly inadequate for the task at hand.

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
case is an ibuypower trace 2 midtower, any cpu cooler recommendations for that/my i9 9900k? preferably on the cheaper side, i saved up allowance for months to get that gpu and psu and barely have anything left now

also, what about the gpu temps? 87c seems a bit on the high side

case is an ibuypower trace 2 midtower, any cpu cooler recommendations for that/my i9 9900k? preferably on the cheaper side, i saved up allowance for months to get that gpu and psu and barely have anything left now
It's difficult for me to see what coolers it supports, however I would recommend the Noctua NH-D15 for air cooling. Or a 360mm AIO from Corsair, NZXT, Artic, BeQuiet! ect..

For a more cost effective option, the Scythe Fuma 2 isn't a bad option.

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
yeah, welcome to ibuypower. they provide almost zero info online about their models, parts, how to update their mobo bios, etc. all these weird confusing custom components with no elaboration

i ordered the fuma 2 revision b though, this case is really spacey but if it still doesnt fit ive got free returns on my side. it should arrive overnight. thanks everyone for all the help so far

Reactions: ohio_buckeye
yeah, welcome to ibuypower. they provide almost zero info online about their models, parts, how to update their mobo bios, etc. all these weird confusing custom components with no elaboration

i ordered the fuma 2 revision b though, this case is really spacey but if it still doesnt fit ive got free returns on my side. it should arrive overnight. thanks everyone for all the help so far
I would be surprised if it didn't fit, but I'm not sure what sized radiators it will take for water coolers. It looks like it can take at least a 240mm in the top though. The 9900K is a hot CPU unfortunately so it does require beefy cooling. If you still have problems undervolting is always an option.