Multiple issues. Not sure of the cause.

crazyaccess

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
Hi everybody,

I have ran into multiple issues on my system and I am clueless of the cause.

My system specs are:

Mainboard: Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Chipset: AMD 880G
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3200MHz
Physical Memory: Corsair Vengenance 8192MB DDR3-SDRAM1600 MHz
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4250
Hard Disk: Western Digital WD20EARS (2 TB)
Cabinet: CoolerMaster CM 690 II Advanced
PSU: Corsair TX-650W
OS: Windows 7 64-bit SP1 Ultimate, Windows 2008 R2 and Red Hat Linux Enterprise 6

I am going to split the issues into numbers to give clear idea.

Issues:

1. If I leave PC idle for a long time(3-4 hours) there will be blank screen on my return with monitor light blinking and keyboard and mouse having light with machine on but I won't be able to get anything on the screen. I had to restart the system.

Steps taken: I tried changing power options but it didn't helped.

2. I had 2 DIMMs installed in A2 and B2 slot of the board. One day my PC won't start and it only had MemOK light on for a long time. I had to press it for some time(3-4 secs) and it started blinking and after that my PC boot up. I tried changing the slots to A1 and B1 but with RAM in those slots PC won't boot up. Not even with help of MemOK. When I press MemOK the light will start blinking and it kept on blinking. Finally I had to switch power off and took out the modules from A1 and B1. I suspected one RAM module to be faulty and took it out. Having done that my system was ok for a week or so(still had issue 1 though) but now with the other RAM module in my PC will freeze with black and white stripes on screen. Sometimes if I am playing any video screen will freeze with last frame on the screen and weird static sound starts coming from speakers.

Steps taken: Ran MemTest86+ and both modules passed tests without any errors. However I saw in BIOS that my DRAM voltage is set to 2.4000 which by default should be auto. If I load defaults of BIOS my PC won't start and I have to press MemOK again to boot it up and when I check BIOS again it will be set to 2.4000 instead of auto. No resolution yet.

3. After a clean shutdown of the PC, when I start it after couple of hours, it will freeze on logon screen and I have to cold reboot it and then it will start successfully.

I have no clue of what is going on with my system. I have monitored the HDD,CPU and MB temps which sitting around 40 degree Celsius.

Somewhere in my mind, I think all these three issues are linked. But I am not able to find the common link.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SamiSC

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
try using just 1 mem stick, remove all un needed hardware like wifi, graphic card and such and see if the issue persists, then start placing them one by one starting with the second ram stick.

could be faulty hardware or drivers

crazyaccess

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
I am using 1 mem stick as of now and I am not using wifi or graphics card. I coonect to internet via cable and I am using stock graphics card. Issue still persists. Computer frooze before 5 minutes and had to cold boot it. Nothing was seen in event viewer logs.

crazyaccess

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
Things have got worse. Now my PC freezes twice either at login screen or while logging in. Changing DRAM temperature in BIOS manually is not helping. I tried setting volts to 1.650 but then PC will freeze on windows 7 logo. I changed the RAM to auto and BIOS took it as 2.400 and it is still running at 2.400 volts.