Question Multiple monitors/Gpus

Jul 18, 2019
Currently my build for my PC is

CPU: I7-8000
RAM: Corsair DDR4 Dominator Platinum Ram: 32gb 2133mhz
GPU: Gtx 2080 Superclocked
Monitor Samsung 32 inch Gaming monitor 144HZ 1ms response time

So where my question lies, I am wanting to add a second monitor, however I have tried in the past and it just chunks my graphics of whatever game I am playing like crazy, I presume this is a problem due to the graphics being split to both of the monitors, if that is the case I am planning on buying something like a 1070/1060 and throwing it into the second slot (not SLI ofc) and using it specifically for a second monitor, however before I go through all of this trouble I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone has experienced this issue/how to fix it/ what was done and where to go from here? Also if this is the wrong area to post this please point me in the right direction!

Er... what do you mean by 'chunk'? There are Windows settings, and Nvidia settings for multiple monitor set ups. I would start with those first as you don't need another graphics card to run a second monitor.

EDIT: For example, I ran two monitors (1080p and 1600x1050) using a GTX 750 ti with no problems.

Jul 18, 2019
Er... what do you mean by 'chunk'? There are Windows settings, and Nvidia settings for multiple monitor set ups. I would start with those first as you don't need another graphics card to run a second monitor.

What I mean is that whenever I play a game I notice a HUGE amount of frame drop/lag on previous settings that my pc could previously handle. I have messed with the Nvidia settings as well and it did not work at all. If I have two 1080p monitors it works fine, but if I want to do a 2k monitor with a 1080p it seems to drop everything pretty substantially

use the IGPU? and a 1060/70 is massive overkill, think more like a 1030, last time I did this I used a 210GT.

That may be the play here, Im not sure why I never thought to use the integrated graphics card for it, although I was under the impression that was disabled with a full sized GPU installed. Ahhh good then I Can save myself some money and do something like a 1030

That makes more sense now.

I think I saw a mod mention something about using the integrated graphics in these sort of scenarios: it depends on the motherboard. Supposedly the integrated graphics and graphics card use the same PCIe lanes; the motherboards which allow both to be used are wired differently. At least that's the way I understood the reasoning. Check in the BIOS for multiple graphics options.