[SOLVED] Multiple Monitors on a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2021
Morning all,

Hopefully you can help an old codger like me! I am going to buy my son a new pc and pinch his. I want to be able to run 3 monitors at 4k resolution. The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti and the processor is an i5-7400 @ 3ghz

Won't be used for games just, browsing and watching films. Will it be able to support it?

Thanks for reading.

Solution
Only the displayport will be able to output 4k at 60hz.
The 1050 has HDMI 2.0 and will do 4k60 just fine. I have one plugged into my 4k60 UHD TV and it is set at 60Hz 444. The only problem I had was that the TV does not have high-bandwidth mode enabled by default and Samsung 'helpfully' hid the setting deep under the system menu instead of the input config, so it took me something like 10min to find it by going through menus item by item.
It has 3 HDMI and a Displayport.
What is the make/model of the particular GTX1050ti?
HDMI output will be limited to 4k@30hz which is not very watchable.

What are the monitors in question?
I might suggest a single large 4k monitor.

If this is a new pc, why the i5-7400?
That is old tech and is useful to buy used, and is likely not a good value.

Post the make/model of all of the parts involved.

Thanks for the response it is an Nvidia.

I was going to buy three of these: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081TR5BMH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is an old pc (about 3 years old), taking it from my grandson. I would only be watching a film on one screen, the others would be email / word etc..
All GTX1050ti cards are nvidia.
What is the exact make/model of what you have.
Most will have dp,hdmi, and dvi.
I suppose other configurations are possible, but 4 outputs is not likely.

You might be better off to buy only two such monitors,
Connect one via displayport for viewing film, and use hdmi for a relatively static side monitor.

InvalidError

Titan
The 1050 has HDMI 2.0 and will do 4k60 just fine. I have one plugged into my 4k60 UHD TV and it is set at 60Hz 444. The only problem I had was that the TV does not have high-bandwidth mode enabled by default and Samsung 'helpfully' hid the setting deep under the system menu instead of the input config, so it took me something like 10min to find it by going through menus item by item.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
Thanks for the detailed response. Could it do 3 though?
Probably, though that may depend on how the extra HDMI outputs are handled. There was a time where GPUs had only one or two native interfaces for HDMI/DVI and any additional outputs had to be handled by converting DP lanes into whatever else. I don't remember manufacturers going that deep into output capabilities details since when they started phasing VGA and DVI-I outputs out.

Worst case, there should be at least one native HDMI output able to do 4k60 and the two others may be limited to 4k30 unless you use an active DP adapter to convert the DP output into HDMI2 and give you an extra 4k60.

Best case, all three outputs can do 4k60, be it natively or through a DP conversion chip that supports HDMI 2.0 speed.

Apr 29, 2021
Afternoon all, it works! All 3 at 4k60. Using 2 HDMI cables and 1 DP. No messing around with settings, the computer picked it up straight away.

Thanks all for your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.