Question Multiple Noctua fans(3000RPM) per splitter and fan header compatibility

treptile

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Hi, I've just gotten 6 sets of NF-F14 @ 3000RPM PWM but was wondering if I could use 3 fan splitter cable per motherboard header in my Gigabyte Auros Elite b550?

I know 3000RPM is overboard but I got them second hand and they were really really cheap so I decided to get them (12 bucks each), and no, I would be setting them anywhere near 3000RPM, perhaps 1500RPM

but anyway, All fan headers in my B550 can deliver up to "2A/12V @ 24W" ...so 3 fans per header is fine right since the fans are "0.55A/12v @ 6.6 W" right ?

I was looking into getting something like this, I wouldn't actually need an official Noctua NA -SYC splitter right?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Pack-Computer-Splitter/dp/B07QB9D463/ref=asc_df_B07QB9D463/

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, you can do that. By the way, the fans you have appear to be Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC models of the 3000 RPM variety, (aka NF-A14 IPPC 3000), not NF-F... Anyway, according to a footnote on the Specifications page of the web site for the Rev 1.3 version of that mobo, your mobo's two SYS_FAN headers are unusual in their ability to supply up to 2.0 A per header, whereas most mobos headers are limited to 1.0 A. Given that, using THREE such fans on each header (at 0.55 A max current each) is acceptable. As you say, for that you need a pair of simple SPLITTERS, and NOT a Hub. The difference between those two types of device is that a HUB has one extra connection "arm" that must plug into a PSU output to get power for its fans; a Splitter does not have that and gets all fan power from the header it is plugged into.

treptile

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015

Tbh, I can use the fan hub but I really dont want to take out my PSU and rewire the cables. I'm not going to lie because the montech case that I have now is really tight. The bottom of the case is stashed with a 3.5 harddrive and the PSU which doesn't give alot of room with the rest of the cables. The only way to access the back of the PSU is to take the whole thing out (its not one of the slide out ones) so it would just make life a whole lot easier with a 3 way fan cable splitter...