Multiple Nvidia driver install files?

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Hi,

I've noticed an Nvidia Corporation folder consuming 3.3GB drive space. To me it looks like an accumulation of install files from every time I've upgraded the driver. I'm wondering if this might have something to do with not doing clean installations? I upgrade the driver through Nvidia GeForce Experience but I don't do clean installations.

Nvidia_multiple_driver_files.png

Solution
Just click the custom install dial, then clean install and it should get rid of everything.

Also make sure to delete c:\nvidia, since all your driver installers are stored there too!

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

So your saying to do clean installs from now on?

I don't have a c:\nvidia, the files shown above are in c:\program files\nvidia corporation\installer2

Can I delete the whole nvidia corporation folder or just the installer2 folder? I'm guessing this is the new path for the nvidia install files? I remember when it used to c:\nvidia..

These are the other folders within the nvidia corporation folder:

nvidia_corporation.png

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Here they're saying to delete the entire contents of the installer2 folder. They're just leftover install packages anyway aren't they?

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3265so/nvidia_ssd_users_clean_up_after_the_geforce/

Again, don't touch ANYTHING in program files until you uninstall the drivers

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Hmm ok, I'm a little confused. What are all of the folders in the Installer2 folder? Why can't they be deleted while the driver is installed? Why don't I have a c:\nvidia folder?

What steps should I take to reduce/clean the Installer2 folder and how can I prevent it from accumulating again?

There's nothing to confuse you. DON'T MESS WITH "PROGRAM FILES" UNLESS YOU ARE SURE THAT IT'S NOT NEEDED!!!

When it comes to drivers, it's even more of an issue. If you want to clean the folder, uninstall your driver first to make sure anything remaining is garbage. After you restart, just reinstall the driver and you'll be good to go with zero risk

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

I see what your saying but what if I uninstall the driver and all of the Installer2 folder contents remain? That would rule them out as being files required for the driver to operate wouldn't it? Are you sure these aren't files from all of the previous install packages? There's talk elsewhere that Nvidia is storing all of the old installers and even creating duplicates of them!

Earlier in the post you said not to forget to delete the c:\nvidia folder that stores the driver install files. I don't have a c:\nvidia folder and there's also talk elsewhere that Nvidia doesn't store the packages there anymore but in the c:\program files\nvidia corporation\Installer2 folder instead which is the folder in question.

That's why I'm still confused. Were you aware of this change?

That's the entire point, don't touch anything until you're 100% certain, and the easiest way (other than asking nvidia directly) is to just uninstall.

I haven't see that "change" in any of my computers

Don't use geforce experience for driver updates, just download drivers from the nvidia website after they've been out for a week or so (to avoid getting the occasional crappy driver that causes issues)

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

What's going to be different after a week or so?

If the driver was really that bad, nvidia will pull the driver and replace it with one that doesn't fry your system. If it's just a little messed up, you'll know from news sites and you can avoid updating until the next driver comes out

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Right so if they haven't pulled it after a week or so it should be good?

Pretty much. No need to update drivers that often though, I generally only do it if there are specific added features (vulkan test support, massive performance improvements for certain things, etc) or games I will be playing.

Just uninstall and then remove whatever remains in that nvidia folder

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Ok, I'll see how it goes.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
I've uninstalled the driver (didn't make a system restore first in case :fou:) I also accidentally uninstalled Geforce Experience thinking it was the driver so probably lost settings/profiles? It looks like pretty much all of the folders in the Installer2 folder remain after uninstalling the driver. Are you certain they're safe to delete? What do you think they are? old installer files?

There's also some folders left in the c:\program files\nvidia corporation folder. Safe to delete? I've attached pics of files remaining.

nvidia_uninstall_2.png

nvidia_uninstall_3.png

nvidia_uninstall.png

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Ok. What do you think the large amount of these folders are? They look like installers.. Would they likely have accumulated from not doing clean installations?