Multiple Nvidia driver install files?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Hi,

I've noticed an Nvidia Corporation folder consuming 3.3GB drive space. To me it looks like an accumulation of install files from every time I've upgraded the driver. I'm wondering if this might have something to do with not doing clean installations? I upgrade the driver through Nvidia GeForce Experience but I don't do clean installations.

Nvidia_multiple_driver_files.png

Solution
Just click the custom install dial, then clean install and it should get rid of everything.

Also make sure to delete c:\nvidia, since all your driver installers are stored there too!

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Yes I have but I'm still getting that message..

When trying to permanently delete, the message is:

The action can't be completed because the file is open in nvxdsync.exe

File Description: NVIDIA Maximizer Helper

Edit: just realised I can skip that file and any others..

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Ok, so what steps should I take now? Delete the Nvidia Corporation folder anyway and skip any files that are in use or do the new install now and sort that folder out afterwards? I'm guessing the later is not ideal..

Delete what you can and reinstall your driver. Just make sure you have a recovery disk just in case you screwed up something and need safe mode

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Oh man, I'm getting nervous. Recovery disk is something you have the option to create when installing Windows is it? I don't think I have one..

Edit: Recovery is built into the Windows install disk isn't it?

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Ok, it looks like I'm going to have to permanently delete the Nvidia Corporation folder as trying to delete to the recycle bin doesn't give any options to skip files. Sound good?

At this point you should just do it and learn what happens. If your computer has issues after reinstalling the drivers then give us the steps you took

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Ok, fingers crossed.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Ok, driver is installed and seems ok, installed with no problems. Well what's the first thing I learnt? That some of the folders in the Nvidia Corporation folder are required for the driver just as you warned. My guess is that I had multiples from not doing clean installs..

Unfortunately my Geforce Experience settings were lost but I guess that can be avoided by not uninstalling it next time I update the driver..

A fresh install is still rather large at 755mb with 540mb of that being the in the Installer2 folder again. Maybe this is normal?

If your interested below is the files that were skipped when deleting the old Nvidia Corporation folder.

I have a feeling the Installer2 was growing form not doing clean installs. Maybe this needs to be brought to someone' s attention? Why have the option to not do clean installs when all it does is compound? This thread might be helpful for others..

Nvidia_display.png

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
It still saves the installer files even if you do clean install from Geforce Experience. You will just have to keep an eye on it if you are running out of storage space.

As for the files you could not delete, you could have opened Task Manager and 'End Task'