Multiple partition USB drive

Makku293

Honorable
May 4, 2017
My idea is to have a USB drive partitioned in two parts. One, for Files/Folders/Programs, and the other, for multiple O.S. (Windows and Linux). I partitioned it into two parts with the system utility Disk Management successfully. However, I started with one O.S. (Ubuntu) first, I used Rufus to make a partition bootable, but, Rufus removed the two partitions that I made, and made it a whole one for the new O.S., so, the partition for Files/Folders/Programs is gone. Rufus doesn't have an option to choose where you want to boot the O.S. when are two of them of course, therefore, it discarded as a tool for this case.

My question is... Do you know a better way to do this, please?. Make two partitions in a USB drive, one for data and the other for O.S.

Makku293

Honorable
May 4, 2017

Cause, I give technical support as a freelance.

Jan 10, 2019
Did some quick Googling and found these steps:

Insert the USB drive into a desktop’s or laptop’s USB slot.
Then format your USB drive with the NTFS file system if it isn’t already. You can check the file system by clicking This PC in File Explorer, right-clicking the USB drive and selecting Properties.

If the drive isn’t formatted with NTFS, you can right-click the USB drive in File Explorer and select Format from the context menu. That will open the window directly below from which you can select NTFS on the File system drop-down menu.

Press the Start button on the window and then click OK to format the external drive in NTFS.
Now press the Win key + X hotkey and select Disk Management to open the window shown directly below.

Next, you should right-click the USB stick listed on the Disk Management window and select the Shrink Volume option.
A window that includes an Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB text box then opens. So enter the amount of storage space to use for the new drive partitions in that text box.
Press the Shrink button on that window to create unallocated space on the USB stick.
Then you can right-click the unallocated USB stick space on the Disk Management window. Select the New Simple Volume option from the context menu.
A New Volume Wizard opens where you can enter the size for the new partition in the Simple volume size in MB text box. However, leave that text box at its maximum value if you’re only adding one new partition.
Press the Next button, and then you can select a drive partition letter.
Click the Next buttons and press Finish to create the new partition. Then you’ll see the new partition on the Disk Management window.

Hopefully this is along the lines of whatever you're looking for. I wasn't able to test these out myself but they looked accurate.

Makku293

Honorable
May 4, 2017

Thank you so much!!!

TRENDING THREADS