Multiple power cuts caused PC to fail to boot

James Reynolds

Honorable
Mar 8, 2015
Thanks to an unresponsive landlady my house experienced several power cuts a day and now my PC will not turn on at all.

I tried switching the PSU off and on, I checked the fuse in the power lead, I tried different plug sockets, I tried replacing the PSU with another, and I can't see any visible scorch marks on any of the components that would suggest electrical damage, and now I'm at a loss.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690
GPU: MSI Gtx 970
Mobo: Asrock H97M Pro 4
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB
Original PSU: XFX P1-750B-BEFX
Replacement PSU: EVGA NEX650G Gold

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

James Reynolds

Honorable
Mar 8, 2015

I've since moved out of the house that had the power outages, so that's not longer an issue. I don't have a multimeter unfortunately. I bought the new PSU after I moved out, so its voltage should be unaffected

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

OK. If you're no longer in that location, then that probably isn't the issue.The consistent outages though could have damaged the PSU... unless the new PSU has been installed since you moved out. (?) In which case, I would worry that the motherboard took the damage.

If you are that point of troubleshooting, I would disconnect everything from the board except the CPU/cooler, 1 stick RAM in 1st slot, PSU, KB, monitor plugged into iGPU. (No gfx card) See if it first boots normally to BIOS or to the 'no bootable device found' message.
Then connect in the HDD and see if it boots to Windows.

James Reynolds

Honorable
Mar 8, 2015

Yeah I installed the new PSU so that shouldn't be the issue. It managed to boot to the BIOS with the configurations you recommended, but when I plugged the HDD back in it wont boot. Does this suggest the mobo is damaged?

Also probably worth mentioning that after disconnecting the HDD and returning to the ram and CPU only setup, it does not boot immediately. It takes a few presses of the power button.

Thanks for the responses!

Edit: I just put the OLD PSU back in, and it managed to boot to windows with the HDD plugged in. This just confuses me more. Any ideas?

Edit 2: Somehow it is now running with all components installed, including the old PSU. Put some games on to test performance and it's running just like it used to... I'm baffled. But hey, it seems to be working, at least in the meantime. Anyway, thanks for all the help dude!