Multiple problems, very complicated

Hellreaver

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
On my Dell Inspiron 660 i have windows 8.1. Now, Feeling as if that is not open-source enough, i often boot into ubuntu 12.04 Via live usb. Doing so has, somehow, deleted bootable flag for windows Legacy mode. Upon booting i get a `No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key` error. Windows works fine and I can boot it in UEFI mode. Very confused, but still an advanced user. Please help. My pastebin of Bootinfo script: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7288803/... . I installed a new graphics card, only to discover that it is not UEFI compatible. "Alright," I thought, "I'll just set it to boot automatically to legacy"... Nope "Please insert boot device and press any key" Scared, i quickly restarted the computer, setting the boot mode to UEFI once again. Booted into windows fine. Okay, weird. "I'll just turn on load legacy OPROM" Nope, no signal from graphics card. Disabled secure boot. Nope, still no signal from video card. No "video card doesn't support UEFI GOP" error. Nothing. it's not even switching over to the card. (I have a corsair 450W power supply, not the problem. the video card is humming away.) It works on other motherboards and other OSes. Graphics card: Pny verto 9600 GT 512MB. Please, I don't know what to do. I have tried every solution i can think of... Enable Legacy Option Roms is on... Windows boots fine into UEFI, will not boot into legacy. Starting from a ubuntu live usb does not detect the graphics card, and the computer only sometimes switches off of the motherboard video display.

trekzone

Honorable
Mar 31, 2014
You must have accidentally removed the BOOTMGR file in your boot drive. If you have a Windows Setup Disk try to do startup repair of your Windows. This process should replace any missing or corrupt files, including BOOTMGR in your system for you to be able to boot in legacy mode.