Multiple problems with my PC

thersyl

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
My PC seems to have become a piece of trash. However, I am not currently able to simply buy a new one so I'm asking you for help. Here's the deal:
My specs are:
windows xp with Service Pack 3 (used to have Windows 7, had the same problems)
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+, 2.81 GHz
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

My first problem is my screen shutting down at random. The PC stays on, but my screen goes blank and shows message "No signal". I happens three times in 5 minutes, then it's fine for days. It's not configured to shutdown earlier than an hour when it's idle. Sometimes it's even before the OS loads, in BIOS.
I have the same screen on my other, even worse PC and there are no problems of this kind

The other problem is gaming. I can't play any games I've tried ever since last year when my cousin supposedly fixed it ( I can't remember what was wrong with it, I believe it was freezing non-stop) and placed win7 on it. I used to be able to play Skyrim on mid-low setting with no issues, but now it freezes and stutters for 15 seconds every half a minute. Same thing happened with Jade Empire and Assassin's Creed 1. I've been messing with NVIDIA settings, going through various tweaks and fixes, but nothing helped. One thing I know is that my GPu goes over 100°C when I played Skyrim.
I tested my RAM and there were no errors, I've formated and switched to XP thinking it might be too much for this machine.
The last problem is that I've had "Hard disk error" twice, but have somehow managed to get rid of that by switching SATA cables between devices (I think the SATA1 was loose). What am I supposed to do? There's too many problems and I am not extremely familiar with PC components and fixing them.

Solution
Sounds like you need an entirely new system, you won't be doing much gaming on what you have. You need more RAM and a much stronger CPU/GPU. Your clearly overheating on top of that, make sure there is no dust inside and see if that helps at all. Save up your money for a new computer is my advice.

Twoodiddy

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
You and I seem to be having the same sort of issues... Unfortunately I haven't found a solution quite yet, but I can tell you something that someone suggested to me... Check your RAM, and be sure it is working properly. This wasn't the solution for mine, but maybe it'll help you!

Sounds like you need an entirely new system, you won't be doing much gaming on what you have. You need more RAM and a much stronger CPU/GPU. Your clearly overheating on top of that, make sure there is no dust inside and see if that helps at all. Save up your money for a new computer is my advice.

Solution