Question Multiple problems

Shaun Jones

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Ok so firstly my SSD seems to have died, windows froze I restarted and in bios it said my SSD was 0.0gb... ok so I installed windows to another drive so i could backup abd save stuff from the drive I wanted to use as my main windows HDD. All was going fine until I plugged the other hard drive in to install windows tried turning it on and... nothing.. just a faint tick inside the PC not 100% sure where from, I have tried removing all components except for CPU and PSU but still the same problem. Need help and ideas what can I try or how do I figure out whats wrong. The Mobo is a tomawhawk b450 and is only 5months old the PSU is about 5 years old and is a corsair RM1000

Im mostly confused how ive managed to have a dead SSD and this current problem in the space of 3 days, coincidence?

I also tried different mains plug and sockets to make sure it wasnt just that

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Sounds like a PSU issue. Get a temporary replacement PSU and try using your build with that.
The ticking noise is mostly from the HDD because that's the mechanical part. And a perfectly normal HDD ticking, means that it's not getting proper power.

I recently had the same problem and found out that the PSU I had (Corsair RM850x), it's SATA power cable was damaged and wasnt supplying power properly.
HDDs will try but wont be able to start spinning and would make strange noises, and SSDs would disappear sometimes. Don't risk using a faulty PSU, just have it changed.
A faulty PSU is capable of destroying hardware on your build.

Also confirm if it's the PSU by testing your SSD and HDD on other computers. Any friend's desktop, open it up and see if it detects your SSD/HDD properly.
Data is important so back it up from there instead. You can take the PSU to any local but trusted computer repair shop and have it's voltages and all tested.