Multiple R9 270x displays without displayport

ricecrispies

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
Hi all, I'm trying to run 3 monitors from my r9 270x and am running into issues.

On AMD's site, they state that three monitors may be used from just the DVI and hdmi ports IF the monitors on the DVI ports are identical.

My question is, how identical do these monitors have to be? I have tried connecting two monitors with the same resolution, and that didn't work for me. Windows just told me it was unable to save display settings when I tried to activate the third monitor. Do the two monitors need to be from the same manufacturer? Maybe even the exact same model?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

N

ricecrispies

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015

I got the information from here http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/170 on amd's website. I did a little more digging last night and it mentions that clock rates have to be identical, and that it's very rare for different clock rates to be the same. I'm still not entirely sure what that means though...

ricecrispies

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
From what I could find, it said that the clock frequency and resolution were the two that mattered. Apparently the clock frequency is so sensitive that it varies within manufacturer, so even two acer monitors aren't guaranteed to work together. I Bought the bullet and paid the 18 bucks for an active DisplayPort adapter, and everything works perfectly now.