[SOLVED] Multiple RGB?

Jun 22, 2021
So, I'm looking at some RGB panels for my case and of course, I know I'll need headers, but I'm down to 1 last one. I have 2 RGB headers on the MB and 4 more on my Asus ROG Terminal. What are my options for additional headers? I wouldn't think to daisy chain all of them on my last header on the terminal, but maybe I'm just over thinking it ?

Solution
Just to confirm, I presume you mean the 4-pin plain RGB headers, NOT the 3-pin ones for ARGB.

It is very common to have more lighting units than headers to plug them in. In a manner very similar to fans, you can get RGB Splitters that give you several male RGB 4-pin outputs from one mobo 4-pin header. Example:

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Con...626220777&sprefix=RGB+Splitter,aps,188&sr=8-5

That's actually a 2-pack of Splitters that give you four from one. Note that the Splitters have FEMALE connectors on all their "arms". But they come with little gender-changer adapters to let you convert the four output...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just to confirm, I presume you mean the 4-pin plain RGB headers, NOT the 3-pin ones for ARGB.

It is very common to have more lighting units than headers to plug them in. In a manner very similar to fans, you can get RGB Splitters that give you several male RGB 4-pin outputs from one mobo 4-pin header. Example:

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Con...626220777&sprefix=RGB+Splitter,aps,188&sr=8-5

That's actually a 2-pack of Splitters that give you four from one. Note that the Splitters have FEMALE connectors on all their "arms". But they come with little gender-changer adapters to let you convert the four output arms of each to males. Do NOT buy a Splitter without those!

Similar to the situation with fans, the mobo RGB headers you have each will have a limit to the max current they can provide to attached lighting units. Normally that info will be in your mobo manual. Then you need the max current each lighting device will require, so look for that spec with your strips or whatever, perhaps on their website. IF you cannot find any amps info for the lighting devices, you can use a "rule of thumb" that one LED can pull up to 20 mA (that's 0.020 A), and apply that to any spec of how many LED's are in one strip or fan frame.

Solution