Question Multiple Routers Feeding a Single LAN

May 31, 2019
Hi all--new to the forums here, so I hope my question is not redundant. Honestly, I did not make much of a search for it because I'm unsure of how to describe it concisely. I'll just start then...

- - - - - -

Imagine you have a fairly typical residential network. A cable modem brings in the service. A gateway router connects to the modem on the WAN side, and a personal computer on the LAN side. Fine.

Now add a new client to the LAN side of the router. It needs exposure to the internet so it can be remotely configured. Static IPs are leased from the cable company, and port forwarding rules are written in the router that point several ports to that new device. The device is configured to use a static lan ip as well.

Some quick specifics here to make further description tidier:

1. The router's LAN address is 192.168.0.1.
  2. The router is running a DHCP server, dispensing addresses from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199.
  3. The new device's ip address is fixed to 192.168.0.20.

Now add a second new client to the LAN. We already have an available public ip that can be used, but the port forwarding rules are a problem, as our existing router cannot account for multiple public IPs.

The router is an Asus RT-N66R, so it can apparently run DD-WRT, but for non-technical reasons, that's not an option. Instead, a switch is put in between the modem and router. That switch is connected to the WAN sides of the routers. The second new device is attached to that second router's LAN side.

1. The second router has a LAN address of 192.168.0.2.
  2. The second router has its DHCP server disabled.
  3. The second new device's ip address is fixed to 192.168.0.21.

This all works fine, but here's the question:

Q1: Will "bridging" the two routers, with a cable between LAN ports, safely unify those two LANs?

I don't see much practical benefit in doing this, but the academic question had piqued my interest. Also, the aesthetics of that symmetry has mesmerized me a bit. Thanks for your consideration of my question.

May 31, 2019
It will work as long as the second pc has the correct gateway configured.
Fair enough. The second new device has 192.168.0.1 as its gateway. It just looks so strange to see a loop in my network diagram.

There is nothing preventing other machines from using either router so the lan must be secure.
There's physical security on the network--no Wi-fi and no jacks or wiring exposed externally. The devices themselves have passwords on the configuration consoles.