[SOLVED] Multiple routers not working

Feb 19, 2016
Internet was working fine till yesterday, my sibling started a download on Steam, after that all devices started experiencing connectivity problems. The only way to use the internet was to be connected directly to the modem. There is no ISP outage. Modem says there is no upstream or downstream problem, but after a few minutes of being connected to a router, it says its having trouble establishing a connection to the router. Tried 3 different routers, at first the SSID pops up and you can connect but then internet stops working and devices automatically disconnect and attempt to reconnect.

Solution
The proper process, that works for me is.

1. Cut off power to modem and router.
  2. Disconnect the WAN cable from the modem to the router.
  3. Power up just the Modem and let it fully boot up with an active internet connection. DO NOT CONNECT ANYTHING TO IT.
  4. Next, plug in the WAN cable to the Router.
  5. Power up the router and let it boot up.

I've seen this before where the modem and router do not communicate ip addresses properly. The above steps is my boot up sequence that works every time.
With multiple routers it is not likely a hardware issue.

If what you have is actually just a modem and not a modem/router then you generally have to reboot the modem everytime you plug something different into it. You only have a single IP and most times the modem will give it to the first mac address it sees. If you swap equipment many times it breaks immediately but I have also seen it work for a while and then fail. I never found out why, I have always rebooted the modem now. I just wish cable modems reboot faster.

The proper process, that works for me is.

1. Cut off power to modem and router.
  2. Disconnect the WAN cable from the modem to the router.
  3. Power up just the Modem and let it fully boot up with an active internet connection. DO NOT CONNECT ANYTHING TO IT.
  4. Next, plug in the WAN cable to the Router.
  5. Power up the router and let it boot up.

I've seen this before where the modem and router do not communicate ip addresses properly. The above steps is my boot up sequence that works every time.

Solution
Is this all the time now or only when downloading from steam?

I have a 450mbps connection and if i dont throttle steam on downloads it will nuke the internet throughout the house. Even internet on my computer while downloading is almost non existent.