[SOLVED] Multiple Routers under one roof

pandasaurus

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
so, our house isn't massive but we've got brick walls and a decent distance from the central location of the main router on the opposite side of the house, thank you ATT. what we've had to do is run ethernet lines to bedrooms, what i've done is put in a hub box to split the line, and installed a router at the next access point to essentially extend coverage, but my question here is,
in win10 as well as say iphone/ipad is it possible to allow the network cards to connect to multiple connections and use which ever one has best connectivity, allowing me to roam the house/yard having say, hulu streaming continuously? obviously there may be a second or two drop time or a re initialization, but ultimately stay connected without me going into settings and changing routers manually? have a feeling this isn't new, but i cannot seem to find much due to the slightly longer than usual phrase, hits too many key words i guess.

thank you in advance for your time,
kelly.

Solution
What you are asking about is called roaming. It is easist to do with one brand of WIFI hardware. It can be done. But is tricky to implement and impossible to predict your success.
Since you have ethernet cabling, if you do investigate mesh hardware, make sure you pick hardware that can used a wired backhaul.
Aug 11, 2019
You may want to look at a mesh access point solution. Samsung, Google and Netgear have a product line to do just this. Single SSID broadcast with one or even two radios, Another radio or hardware as a backhaul to the master router. If you were to go to a mesh solution that includes a smart things hub than your home automation products could talk to the access points as well and in essence extend a zigbee or z-wave network to the far corners of the house as well.

kanewolf

Titan
What you are asking about is called roaming. It is easist to do with one brand of WIFI hardware. It can be done. But is tricky to implement and impossible to predict your success.
Since you have ethernet cabling, if you do investigate mesh hardware, make sure you pick hardware that can used a wired backhaul.

Solution