Multiple routes between clients

lenhodder

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017
I'm having an odd problem since upgrading to Win10 Creators Edition, where opening a document, then closing it sometimes leaves the lock file behind, causing it to remain locked for the next person who wants to open it.

I'm suspecting that it may be related to the fact that we have two routes to each PC - 192.168.1.x is the subnet that all PC NICs are connected to, and we also have a VPN connection on each PC at 20.10.9.x. So, I could see any PC using either IP. I'm wondering if this is causing problems somehow. Is there a way to configure all of the PCs to use a default route (192.168.1.x)?

I'm not sure if I've got some of my details wrong, but any direction would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Len

There is only a single default route active. There may be multiple in the routing table but the pc use a metric to choose. How that metric is set though varies a lot when vpn are involved.

You can see what is it doing with the ROUTE command. This is also the command you use to change things if you want it to select different routes.

How the locking function works is not something I know much about, always worked for big companies where server guys fix those problems.

lenhodder

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017

Thanks for the reply, Bill. I think the problem is probably related to the Bitdefender antivirus software. I've disabled a part of it, and hopefully that solves the problem.
Cheers.
Len