Multiple Simultaneous Sessions on Remote Desktop PC

Is it possible for multiple XP clients to connect to a
remote desktop XP PC simultaneously?
I only managed to connect once at a time, a second user
attempt would force the first user to disconnect.
The same happened when I used a VPN connection with the
server PC.
To my Windows Small Business Server PC I can connect
multiple times using RPD.
So, is that a limitation of Windows XP Remote Desktop or
is there another way to achieve this?
T.I.A.

Currently that is the way it works...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280828

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Mike K." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible for multiple XP clients to connect to a
> remote desktop XP PC simultaneously?
> I only managed to connect once at a time, a second user
> attempt would force the first user to disconnect.
> The same happened when I used a VPN connection with the
> server PC.
> To my Windows Small Business Server PC I can connect
> multiple times using RPD.
> So, is that a limitation of Windows XP Remote Desktop or
> is there another way to achieve this?
> T.I.A.

So, what about a VPN Connection? Can I achieve multiple
VPN connections to an XP computer?

Thanks again

for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
confers no rights...

>"Mike K." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Is it possible for multiple XP clients to connect to a
>> remote desktop XP PC simultaneously?
>> I only managed to connect once at a time, a second user
>> attempt would force the first user to disconnect.
>> The same happened when I used a VPN connection with the
>> server PC.
>> To my Windows Small Business Server PC I can connect
>> multiple times using RPD.
>> So, is that a limitation of Windows XP Remote Desktop or
>> is there another way to achieve this?
>> T.I.A.
>
>.

XP will only accept one VPN connection inbound at a time...

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcg_cnd_dbem.asp

You may be in need of a server class OS like Windows 2003 server, depending of course on what your
trying to accomplish.

--

> So, what about a VPN Connection? Can I achieve multiple
> VPN connections to an XP computer?
>
> Thanks again

I won't to connect to one PC, from multiple workstations,
to put remote orders.
Because the solution is not based on a server database
(e.g. SQL Server) but it is an MS Access database, I
cannot connect directly to the database. Also I would like
to print the receipt to the remote computer, so remote
administration is the easiest case.

So you think, SB Server 2003 would be a solution (although
a "heavy" and expensive one), or do you know another
remote administration software or terminal services
software on the market that would allow for simultaneous
connections?

Yet, if the decision would be on SBS, how many
simultaneous connections one can have with the standard
license?

Thanks again.

Mike

SBS 2003 does NOT include Terminal Server, only Remote Desktop for Administration. This means that SBS 2003 can only host 2 RDP Sessions (+ one console session).

Terminal Server how tos:
http://www.workthin.com/tshta.htm

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://www.workthin.com

----- anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: -----

I won't to connect to one PC, from multiple workstations,
to put remote orders.
Because the solution is not based on a server database
(e.g. SQL Server) but it is an MS Access database, I
cannot connect directly to the database. Also I would like
to print the receipt to the remote computer, so remote
administration is the easiest case.

So you think, SB Server 2003 would be a solution (although
a "heavy" and expensive one), or do you know another
remote administration software or terminal services
software on the market that would allow for simultaneous
connections?

Yet, if the decision would be on SBS, how many
simultaneous connections one can have with the standard
license?

Thanks again.

Mike

You could still connect to the database (locking concerns aside) with
a plain VPN.. Although XP Pro supports only one incoming connection,
you could get one of the hardware VPN routers that will support
multiple VPN tunnels on its own... This would be cheaper than SBS
2003...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:59:35 -0700,

>I won't to connect to one PC, from multiple workstations,
>to put remote orders.
>Because the solution is not based on a server database
>(e.g. SQL Server) but it is an MS Access database, I
>cannot connect directly to the database. Also I would like
>to print the receipt to the remote computer, so remote
>administration is the easiest case.
>
>So you think, SB Server 2003 would be a solution (although
>a "heavy" and expensive one), or do you know another
>remote administration software or terminal services
>software on the market that would allow for simultaneous
>connections?
>
>Yet, if the decision would be on SBS, how many
>simultaneous connections one can have with the standard
>license?
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Mike

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

This is how things work now and in the future:

You can use a product you can find on my site
www.computerboom.net
called winconnet server xp

also view the flash demo there to get an idea of how it works

kenny