Question Multiple Sticks of RAM causing DRAM Errors... I've tried everything

Feb 22, 2020
So to start off I'll just put my build here.

CPU: Intel i7-9700KF
Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4-3600
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Blue 1TB
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB Gaming X

This is my first build, and I thought I had everything put together correctly. Unfortunately, I am not able to install my second stick of RAM without tripping DRAM errors on my mobo, I have double checked that the RAM is installed in the correct slots (the 2,4) and I have tried all slot combinations. It works fine with just 1 stick. I have turned on the XMP profile as well as trying to modify the BIOS settings manually. I am hoping there is something I am missing because the only other cause I can think of is a shot mobo. Any help is greatly appreciated!

If the sticks are working on their own individually and they're from a kit, then yeah it's most likely the motherboard.

I'm guessing your motherboard is still under warranty and you can RMA.

Before doing that could you also check if pins are bent on your motherboard?
This can also prevent memory from working in dual channel. If that's the case you won't be able to RMA the board(most likely).

Feb 22, 2020
If the sticks are working on their own individually and they're from a kit, then yeah it's most likely the motherboard.

I'm guessing your motherboard is still under warranty and you can RMA.

Before doing that could you also check if pins are bent on your motherboard?
This can also prevent memory from working in dual channel. If that's the case you won't be able to RMA the board(most likely).
I haven't been able to find any damage to the mobo. I'm reaching out to MSI tech support, but unless they have some weird fix than it looks like I get to wait for a couple of weeks for a new one. Yay

chrysalis

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
It doesnt need to be physical damage, when i got my asrock z370 k6 board, originally the board was struggling to post with ram diagnostic errors, I swapped out ram, no difference, ended up swapping out the board, and bam it was solved.

A bad tracer or something isnt necessarily going to be a visible problem to the eye.

TRENDING THREADS