Multiple systems with no access to internet, while others do.

TheFirePlayer14540

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
I wish I had this thread months ago, but here goes...

For, maybe since mid 2017, I have NOT been having good MBPS for download on my WIFI, (now I don't have a connection at all) happened with one laptop, after a few months my desktop (after NOT using it in almost a year) and most importantly, A BRAND NEW LAPTOP THAT MY FAMILY HAS BOUGHT ME IN NOVEMBER 2017 DOES NOT WORK WELL WITH MY INTERNET.

I used to get 1-5 Mbps of download, and now, the connection no longer works. My internet has NEVER been like this for years, and I've been having this problem for a long while.

My guess is the router, since we had it for maybe four years. Or, is it something that we changed that messed everything up? Can't be the computers, because I got a brand new system (fresh out of the box in November last year) and it doesn't have good coverage NO MATTER where I'm at in the house. Only solution is LAN, and I don't own our internet, and no one's willing to have a wire several feet from my room to where the WIFI is set up.

Q&A
"What brand is your router?"
Netgear, recently but some extenders from Frontier, two run in my home when a 3rd acts as a jammer,

"How far is your internet to your computers?"
Very far, but not that far. Range shouldn't be an issue since I got a good connection without any stuttering long before this issue started happening.

(for those who want to criticize me) "Why improve your internet?" Because I want to do things like watch YouTube videos, but I also want to stream from Twitch. Can't do that if my connection is terrible.

"Why Frontier?"
Someone in the house works there.

"What's your internet provider?"
Suddenlink. Hate their service because we didn't have good coverage a while later, but things got better afterwards.

Recently got my old desktop working on the WIFI, but got a much worse connection than before. I now get BARELY 1Mbps! I also got my new gaming rig set up, and I'm afraid it will end up like my other computers.

One more thing: my phone, an Xbox 360 and a Chromebook take the connection to its limits, whether I'm in my room or someplace else. My personal desktop and laptop? Nope.

What's the problem here? (don't mind the tags, I just need all the help I can get.)

Solution
If you are using an WiFi, it is either not working right or you are too far away from the router (or the router isn't working right. It could be a setting issue as well. The power line (suggested above) or an ethernet cable could increase download Mbps. Otherwise a new router or WiFi adapter would be required.

USAFRet

Titan
So this sounds like a simple WiFi issue.

1. What speed do you pay the ISP for?
2. What speed do you get with a system wired directly to the router?
3. What has changed from when it sort of worked to now, mostly not working?
(yes, I know you'll say "nothing"...but something did)
4. Have you considered powerline devices?

Can you give us a clearer description of ALL the devices and providers in the chain?

TheFirePlayer14540

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015

1. I'm supposed to be getting almost 100 Mbps. Just set up my Xbox One and it's getting 70 Mbps.
2. Almost 100 Mbps.
3. Password was changed few months back. May have changed a network channel?
4. Not likely that will happen. I don't own the internet.

TheFirePlayer14540

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015

Everyone watches TV all day and night half the day, I'm sure. Shouldn't matter who's using the internet since that problem has been taken care of. Right now, I'm installing some games on my Xbox One and getting 70 Mbps, and someone else is playing on Xbox Live. Two people are now using the internet.

Basically, my new gaming rig is getting below 1 MB.

USAFRet

Titan

Powerline - 2 small devices that simply plug into wall outlets.
One next to the router, and one next to your PC.
The devices pump the internet signal through the house wiring.

If even those are off limits, then your options are somewhere between slim and none.

If you are using an WiFi, it is either not working right or you are too far away from the router (or the router isn't working right. It could be a setting issue as well. The power line (suggested above) or an ethernet cable could increase download Mbps. Otherwise a new router or WiFi adapter would be required.

Solution